We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

We are going to Lapland for New Year, 2 adults and 3 kids who are 9, 7 and 4. Will we need to take thermals and if so where is the best place to get them?

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
9,671 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

As we needed them in May, I think the answer to that is probably yes....

your profile gives no indication as to where you live, so second part is hard to answer. Camping shop ? Millets ?

If you are planning on spending time outside then I suspect you need to thoroughly appraise your clothing requirements - walking boots capable of dealing with the cold for a start.

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
697 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

We was there for new year five years ago. As the temperatures can be up to - 20 or less I suggest you pack plenty of thermals and lots of warm clothes! It's fun there but not if your cold!

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

you must be prepaired for the cold as it can be really cold, we had temps of -28 and it was fine as long as you are ready for it

have a look at www.lapland.fruitbandit.com

I would suggest that you have a base layer (thermals) then a fleece layer (PJs from primark are good for this) then an outer layer (ski suite/jacket/trousers) and take an additional fleece layer just in case

take a snood or scarf and hat that must cover your ears, gloves/mittens and take good warm boots with lots of room in them, I usually wear two pairs of socks, a thin silk pair then a thin merino wool pair (marks spencers do these in the mens sock dept)

its all about the layers,. if you are not skiing then you wont need to worry too much about have a cotton blend as your base layer but if you are skiing then dont have cotton as it was absorb sweat and then go cold against your skin and in turn turning you cold :)

Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

Thank you, we live on Helston, Cornwall. So we will probably order them online. We will be there for a week, so we would definately need the right equipment!!

Edited: 28 October 2012, 19:47
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

Thank you, we live on Helston, Cornwall. So we will probably order them online. We will be there for a week, so we would definately need the right equipment!!

Edited: 28 October 2012, 19:47
warrington
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

I have just been looking on the Sportsdirect website and they have lots of options for reasonably priced thermals

7. Re: Do we need thermal underwear to take to Lapland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2013, 09:16