We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

My husband and I (late 50s) are looking to spend some time in Finland - possibly one night in an igloo/ice room? Rovaniemi looks lovely and not too touristy and Kakslautanem looks interesting. Would it be mad to hire a car in January? Or would trains and buses be easier? Also - where to fly to... We don't mind what we do as long as it is a good experience! So many questions - sorry, but I am totally open to any suggestions of where, when and how. Thanks!

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

Saariselkä and Kakslauttanen might be good options for you, maybe also Ylläs. Rovaniemi differs from those as it is a town, not a resort.

There are airports in Kittilä (for Ylläs), in Ivalo (for Saariselkä) and in Rovaniemi. Scheduled flights are usually via Helsinki.

Driving a car is fine in January, roads are well maintained in winter. You can also take a train from Helsinki e.g. to Kolari (for Ylläs) or to Rovaniemi. The towns within Lapland are well connected with buses.

January is good as it is less busy than December, there is also more snow then and prices more reasonable. If you'd like milder weather and more daylight maybe also consider March.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

Thank you so much for your help - much appreciated as this is the first time I've tried to organise a trip like this myself instead of using a tour group operator. But as I will probably only do this trip once I would like it to be exactly as I want it! Thanks again.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

The main difference is that Rovaniemi is first and foremost a town and the "capitol" of Lapland. Hence there is more of a "everyday" feel to it, but it has the advantage that it has more to offer if you want other things that skiing or winter excursions/safaris(museums, shopping, more choice in restaurants and such). Levi and Saariselka are mainly ski resorts and as such have a more limited range of activities for those not skiing or going on winter excursions/safaris.

Do know that Rovaniemi also has a very nice igloo/snow castle near by, not certain about the other 2 places.

It is more of a question just what you are looking for and what you have in your mind to do.

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

Thank you for the information. We are not skiers so Rovaniemi seems a better base as I had already put the nearby igloos on the 'must do' list. I am now thinking of combining this with a trip to the Taiga Forest area - possibly flying to Helsinki first for a couple of days there too. I just need to work out which is the best way to do it all with internal flights and possibly a train journey too (so hubby can take lots of photos). We would like to see the Northern Lights (if they are kind to us!) and also the strange blue light at dawn and dusk that we have heard about. We are looking for an 'experience' rather than a madly active holiday!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

Dawn and dusk are actually the same thing when the sun doesn't rise. Anywhere north of Rovaniemi, any time around midday, you will see the bluish light of the unseen sun reflected through the atmosphere and snow. It's a bugger to catch on camera, though.

6. Re: in search of an adventure and the Northern lights!...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 10:16