We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson....it was better to book end October

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
279 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson....it was better to book end October

This is more of a statement than a question but I'm hoping it might help someone in 2013. I wasn't sure whether to book early, about 2-3 months before or at the last minute. I booked on 25th October. They'd had a promotion a few days earlier offering £30 off and I almost buckled and booked but something told me it was going to go even cheaper. It did, just 2 days later, the price dropped by about £500 to just over £1k for 1 adult, 1 child for 3 nights full board from Manchester on 9th Dec. i got impatient and booked....happy with that price but wondering if i'd leapt too soon. I have checked several times and it has steadily increased since then...to book today (with less than 2 weeks to go) the exact same holiday would cost £250 more. My advice would therefore be to wait until end of October provided you are not set on a particular hotel, flight.

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
697 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

We booked as soon as the brochures came out and the prices have stayed roughly the same. Luck of the draw I guess. We also go on the 9th from Manchester so presume we will be on the same flight. We will be the group of various ages going for our wedding. If you see us say hello!

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

I've also monitored Thomson prices since April and the cheapest price I found was end of may beginning June where prices fell to about £1800 for family of four or four days. I booked at this time so was lucky really. Since then they've been up and own with sept and first half October the highest.

If anyone if after saariselka for next year don't leave it too late as thomsons sold out of this (northern airports) about 2-3 wk ago. Only the Xmas stays left now so for saariselka I'd book may and june time. The other resorts are still available now but much higher price than in may still.

Moraira, Spain
Level Contributor
288 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

Tinks - we are booked with INGHAMS, not Thomson!!

ireland
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

Hi guys when does Dec 13 go on sale?? Have decided we are going to do it Nxt yr!

Looking at the snowflake hotel with Thomson from Manchester for 3/4 nights. Looks like may/June is best time to book....

Anyone know what would be a good price 2ad+2kids?? Ballpark???

Thanks x.

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

Hi I monitored Manchester flights lots as myself an some friends we all looking at going.

The snowflake hotel was a bit more expensive than the others as its a Santa stars hotel- meaning the thomsons staff are based there. We have stayed in these type of hotels in other countries and they are fab for the kids. It was more expensive when I booked though so we settled on holiday club.

3 nights cost has ranged from £2300 to £3000 plus for this hotel, even in may June it was about £2300. The cheapest I seen It drop to was around £2200 a few weeks as but it sold out within days at that price. From what I've seen of this years prices if you can get family of four for this hotel for under £2400 then I'd say that's a good price. Don't book sept as prices were crazy!

Try to be flexible with dates, I paid £2200 for the 16th but the week before for the same holiday was £2900 at the same time which is odd as I expected the week before Xmas to be the most expensive! I think thomsons tried to fill up one flight at a time by dropping holidays randomly.

There were lots of good deals a few weeks ago for Levi and yllas if you are not set on saariselka - 4 days family of 4 for about £1800?

ireland
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

Hi thanks were pretty much set on saarisekla but i guess open to which hotel. The holiday club looks lovely too , will wait for price and see...

Was it the holiday club you seen for £1800??

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

The holiday club went down at one point to £2050 at the end of may but I held off thinking it would drop further but it went up! Saariselka never really went much under 2k at all for Manchester- at the lowest prices it hovered around £1950-£2300.

The lower prices (£1800 ish) were for Levi, yllas and rovaniemi where at certain times recently you could get 4 nights for the price of 3 in saariselka.

Thomsons saariselka must have been more popular or they had less of them as they were the first to go on all dates. I expect its because its the only resort thomsons offer a private Santa visit- in the others I believe he visits during the gala meal.

ireland
Level Contributor
439 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

Thank you so much!! You have been very helpfull!! Luv the idea of the private Santa visit in saarisekla alright:-)

9. Re: Thomson....it was better to book end October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:16