We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort? Rovaniemi, Yllas, Pallas or Saariselka?

Southern United...
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort? Rovaniemi, Yllas, Pallas or Saariselka?

Hi there

I have been to Rovaniemi and Yllas a few times over the past few years and have enjoyed both for various reasons.

I have a thai daughter in law who is desparate to experience deep snow and winter wonderland. I was wondering where to go or wheter to consider Pallas or Saariselka?

She is 23 so likes beautiful scenery and plenty to do. Can you recommend a nice hotel as the brochures all say each hotel is great so its difficult to choose.

Helen

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort? Rovaniemi, Yllas, Pallas or Saariselka?

For a beatiful, young thai-girl I would definitely recommend visiting us here in Rovaniemi... :)

Pallas is maybe a little remote and not a big resort. If you are a bit outdoorsy or nature-going type, if you fancy more of a photographic tour than downhill skiing, then I would recommend Pallas. Scenery is great there, one of my favourite places in Lapland. It is in middle of one of our national parks after all.

But for a young and single(?) Pallas might be even too remote. Though I personally like the place a lot, I would recommend it to others with a small reservation. But then again Pallas is quite close to Muonio, Ylläs and even Levi. By car it takes less than an hour to reach any of those resorts.

Rovaniemi and Ylläs you already know. In Rovaniemi you can easily spend a couple of days, rent a car/take a bus and go to Ranua Zoo (Which is great this time of a year! Arctic animals are much more active during winter than summer.), Luosto or even Levi... they are all quite close. Also Kemi is a short day trip away from Rovaniemi. Snow Castle there and Icebreaker Sampo are worth to see.

Saariselkä... Well, it's quite popular amongst us Finns, but I'm not sure they all go there for skiing. But scenery-wise it is also very beautiful and offers great cross country skiing trails. As a resort Saariselkä might also feel bigger than Ylläs as it's not so spread out.

So for a small "arctic expedition" it is Pallas. For more traditional skiing resorts Saariselkä for cross country and Ylläs for downhill. Rovaniemi is in a nice central location and also has a small skiing resort - easy and great for beginners.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort? Rovaniemi, Yllas, Pallas or Saariselka?

Hmm, the mating season in Saariselkä during the spring months surely would give a young thai girl a lot of attention, but as she is in-law this may not be a major selecton criteria of a destination ;)

For a first timer I would still recommend something a bit bigger than Pallas. Levi and Saariselkä are easy since they are located near the airport. They both offer plenty of different activities as well.

Another good option is DIY and rent a car and drive around. Like Rovaniemi-Kilpisjärvi-Tromso-Kiruna-Rovaniemi. Plenty of different scenery.

3. Re: Which resort? Rovaniemi, Yllas, Pallas or Saariselka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Lapland