We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tops or bottoms?

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
999 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tops or bottoms?

When I layer would it be ok to just add to the top or should I layer legs too?

I don't want the kids to feel the cold too much on their legs but also don't want to layer them into a statue!

Plus their ski pants might split :)

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tops or bottoms?

just the top should be fine - you will all be fine with a base layer, mid and outer for your legs

heart, head and hands - keep them warm and the rest of you will be fine (I would say feet too but its doesnt rhyme nicely)

:)

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tops or bottoms?

Hmmm... Both.

Especially for the boys the crotch area is something you don't want to get cold. Yes, there are jokes about boys and cold water but once you get an infection down there, there's no more joking... :) It's a consideration if there's some sitting involved (snowmobiling, sleigh rides etc.).

Three layers is a good thumb rule. A thin base layer, a mid-thick mid-layer and then the outer layer. Legs aren't as sensitive to cold as the top, especially if you are being active and moving around. I usually go with a single base layer or just the plane outer layer if skiing or running. But even then I have some windstopper boxers to protect my bladder.

Of course we have all kinds of different base layers from all kinds of materials, but to put it simple I almost always use three layers on top: the base, mid and outer. I "control the weather" with the kind of jacket I choose. Even on warmer weather (0 - -10C) I have a tanktop-like base layer.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
999 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tops or bottoms?

Great advice!

Thanks so much :)

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,025 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tops or bottoms?

Need for layers is also dependent on how much your muscles are active. For just standing around you'll need more than eg x-country skiing.

One of the vital parts are feet. Good boots with warm socks are a must.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,257 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tops or bottoms?

Oh, and it might be a good idea to have at least one extra base layer, and maybe even a mid layer, so you always have one dry set at hand.

If you are being active and sweating a lot, base layers are good for maybe two days before they get smelly. That's why I always give mine a quick hand wash after each exercise (basically just flushing them with a bit of liquid detergent while taking a shower or sauna). It's nice to be sure you have a dry set for the next morning. Mid layers aren't in direct contact with your skin, so they don't need so frequent washig. But usually being thicker they also absorb more moisture and might take longer to dry.

Decent base layers are relatively cheap and you can find them at any sports store or even a bigger supermarket. No need to bring them with you. I have 60 € Helly Hansens and Löfflers and 15 € whatevers that work just as well. Actually one of the most used ones were bought from Lidl... :)

Edited: 02 January 2013, 09:49
Forres, Scotland
Level Contributor
462 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tops or bottoms?

Lycra tights we find are good at keeping the legs and feet warm under the thermals and socks if a very cold day or if not so cold instead of leggings under the Salopettes. Can be easily washed and dried too. Though good luck get boy's to wear them!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
999 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tops or bottoms?

I think my boys may find it quite amusing wearing tights ;)

All the advice has been fantastic and helped a great deal!

I suppose its time to start loading the suitcases...... Don't want to wait until the last minute especially as we leave on the 20th so just over 2 weeks to go now!

I'm going to get some suitcase scales as they won't fit on my bathroom ones.

Happy packing for me.

8. Re: Tops or bottoms?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 00:16