We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

Hi, I've been following this forum for over 12 months now, I wanted to go to Lapland last December, but decided to continue saving so that we could have all we wanted.

I searched and searched in the hope of finding a bargain in Saariselkä, but never found one!!! My initial search concluded that we would book with Esprit, however following VERY positive reviews in 2012, I'm now seriously considering Thomsons.

Esprit have just released prices and dates for Dec 2013, and TBH they are £1000 more than last years prices!!!

I didn't follow Thomson last year, and just wondered if anybody else did, and if they did, is there any better time to book?? I know i won't get a bargain, but i don't want to pay waaay over the odds!!! From following Esprit, last year the prices didn't reduce, just wondering shall I booknow, or does anyone know any better??

Many Thanks In advance

Marie xxx

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

Hi I went with thomsons and followed prices lots from may to dec- bit obsessive I know but I had friends who were looking for deals too!

Cheapest price for family of 4 to saariselka was about £1950 online at start June for 3 nights. By mid june they started to go up (only slightly) to a max of over £3000 by sept/oct. they fell again in oct but not as low as they'd been in June and Manchester- saariselka sold out mid nov time.

If you can get 3 night for family of 4 for under £2300 consider it a good deal. The cheaper thomsons trips were for rovaniemi and Levi.

Don't bother with half board as the half board supplement is more than eating out especially as gala meal inc anyway.

Hope that helps!

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

Oh one tip if you do book thomsons - do not pre book flight seats!!!, we didnt and were late arriving at the airport. I asked if we were seated together and the check in lady said that as its a family flight all seating is arranged before hand to ensure everyone is sat together! She even admitted pre booking gives no advantage!

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

I had the same dilemma

We are 3 adults and 1child. we've gone with thomsons at riekonlinnna/snowflake in a 2 bed apartment for 4 nights for £2675. The same holiday with espirit but for only 3 nights is exactly £1000 more expensive. I prefer Thomsons as :

-£1000 saving is too much to ignore

-we get an extra night

-the activity day with thomsons is on first full day whereas with espirit its 2nd full day. I'd prefer it on first day as you can then see which activity you like and do it again the next day if you choose to

-the prices do fluctuate but saariselka sold out in November for Dec 13. the 2 bed apartments we booked in mid Dec have only 1 left now for the date we go on (4th Dec 13)so I'm glad we booked then. If you aren't bothered about where you stay just keep looking at thomsons online and you'll see the prices fluctuate

Edited: 12 January 2013, 22:51
Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

sorry that should have said sold out in November for Dec 12

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

Hi Ann with regard to excursions, I don't think you'll get chance to book your trips after the activity day to be honest, not without limiting choices. Thomsons sold theirs out on the first day (you have no choice but go to the welcome meeting as its on way from airport and due to the hard selling form the reps, people panic and book).

We booked with top safaris on the first day for a trip on our third day and only just got our trip. To be honest if you know what you want I would get a list of all the quotes and take it with you as it'll save time! It was a pain going in and out of shops trying to sort them out when we get there- especially as all the kids wanted to do was go the sledge run!

certain trips are only available at certain times and we found it hard sorting them out when trying to factor in the best time for daylight etc. in hindsight i wish wed booked with top safaris beforehand.

Lapland safaris even refused to take us on trips as we were thomsons and they have an arrangement with the operators not to accept you independently!! (So lie if you book with these!) I even tried to get prices from esprit and they wouldn't let us book with them! (As it was there's were not as good anyway compared to top safaris)

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

thanks Kitty,that;s good to know. I don't know which extra activity to choose,if any, tbh as seen so many mixed reviews and they are so expensive I'm not convinced its value for money :) I was going to take my son on the elf adventure but seen poor reviews on here. Maybe huskies. still like the idea of the activity day on the first full day.What did you do? We may just spend the next 2 days tobogganing etc.

thanks for the tip on the flights btw-I couldn't decide whether to book seats so glad I didn't :)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

Hi Kitty and Anne. Many thanks for taking the time to reply! Your both very helpful. Thank you. Kitty I don't think that's obsessive.... I've been checking this forum and esprit compulsively for over 12 months ;))) just want to get the best possible deal!!! Thanks for sharing your findings with me. Very helpful :)

Anne thank you for sharing the prices with me. I appreciate it. I also am strongly veering toward thomsons. I can't believe esprit prices have gone up so much from last year!!!! The holiday club was coming in at 2500 to 2700 last year and now it's Way over 3k!!! So thomsons it is for us too.

I think I will wait and watch for a while. But so looking forward to getting it booked finally its been a life long dream of mine to go. And my children will be 6 and 7 then. So an ideal age I think!!!

Marie xx

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

No probs,I've been looking since June (obsessively!) wanted to go Dec 12 but my son is only 3 so decided to wait till Dec13 when he will be 4. Yours sound ideal ages. The difference in price really is too much to ignore :)

we also wanted s/c or BB and espirit only do HB I think

Edited: 13 January 2013, 08:55
liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

No probs I'm glad to help- last year was hard as the we so few thomsons reviews!

Ann- we did the husky trip. The reindeer and snowmobile tasters were enough for me. The reindeer we nice but slow so 10 mins or so was enough, the snowmobiles we fab but kids go in a traitor on the optional excursions so I didn't think it'd be a good 'family trip'.

The husky taster is totally different to the excursion. On the taster, the whole family sits in the sled and the guide drives it around a set area. On the excursion one adult drives and one child goes in the sled! We drove for almost 2 hours over a massive area like Narnia- It was the highlight of the holiday for me but the kids were very cold in the sled (even with tons of layers, balaclavas etc and it was only -9) and didn't enjoy it as much as us adults! So kids wise, they'd have preferred sledging but for me and my husband, its was once in a life time and worth every penny. The photos I got on this trip we perfect too.

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: December 2013 Esprit V Thomsons

that sounds great kitty.If we don't do the elf adventure we'll do the husky or reindeer. From your reviews would def go for husky. Do you know if the trip is better/longer/cheaper through Top safaris rather than Thomsons direct? was it the 4hour option or 2 1/2hour you booked? I've tried to google top safaris but don't seem to be able to book online.hope you don't mind all the questions :) thanks