We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Father and daughter to Lapland In September w/ no car

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Father and daughter to Lapland In September w/ no car

Hi,

My father and I (I am 30 years old) are making a trip to Finland this September 13 - 27 because we are Finnish Americans but have never visited before. We will be spending 5 days in Lapland but I am having trouble choosing a village/town to stay...looking into Inari, Saariselka, Nellim....we want nature and activities and (hopefully) some NL sightings! We'd love to go berry picking or hang out by a lake and meet some reindeer and/or huskies.

Because we will NOT have a car, I want to find a place that is in a good location for exploring but not extremely isolated (we want to be social with others on our trip).

This will probably be our only visit to the country together, so I want it to be as great as possible. Any specific advice would be very much appreciated.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,853 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Father and daughter to Lapland In September w/ no car

I'd pick Saariselkä or Levi. Easy transfers from the airports, a bit more lively resorts. Do note that Sept is off season.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Father and daughter to Lapland In September w/ no car

"Do note that Sept is off season."

Late September maybe yes but early and mid September still good "Ruska season". Ruska is a traditional mating season for the southerners - also known as autumn colours. Observing southerners can be good fun, but it's also a great season to go hicking! Weather is crisp, not too cold, and scenery looks really nice.

For berry picking it's too late for cloudberries, but blueberries should be good until early september and also lingonberries start to be ripe enough to pick. Lingonberries don't mind a little frost bite. Mushrooms also, but we do have some poisonous ones. Get a good guide book firts.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Father and daughter to Lapland In September w/ no car

Hi,

Could you please let me know when you decide? I have very similar situation and very similar plans. I could not formulate it better myself. It would be really great to know what you have chosen.

Thanks!

4. Re: Father and daughter to Lapland In September w/ no car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 05:17