We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
440 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights

Hi All,

I'll be honest I don't know much about the Northern Lights other than I want to see them!

Am I likely to see them if I went on a Lapland 3 night trip with a tour operator in December time? Or is there a specific month people generally go to get the best views? This would be so much cheaper than doing a 7 night break which I've seen prices started from £1100+

Or is there another place which is best to see them i.e in Sweden?

Thank you,

Aaron

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,858 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights

Read first the Lapland forum Top Question on seeing Aurora Borealis aka Northern Lights tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189915-i2262-k584…

Swedish Lapland is not any better than Finnish Lapland, in fact a little bit worse since the locations accessible for tourism are further south than in Finland.

Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights

Hi - I went to Iceland but never saw them and we are doing a 3 night Santa Break to Saariselka in Northern Finland in just over 3 weeks time so am really hoping that I might be lucky this time.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
440 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights

Ok thank you. I will take a look at it!

Good look Pitstop - Let me know how it goes!

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights

In Sweden Abisko Nationalpark would be the place for NL hunting, check out the Sweden forum for more info. In Finnish Lapland you have much wider choice of accommodation and activities, with about the same chances to see the lights. Saariselka is one good spot to consider.

5. Re: Northern Lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:18