We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Hampshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Hi, my wife will be 50 in January 2015 and has always wanted to go to Lapland - snow, staying in a 'lodge' type of accommodation in the woods, snowmobile ride, huskies, etc.

We will be going with our 22 year old daughter.

The Snowy Wilderness Lodge looks great and is also all inclusive which we think will be good cost wise as I have read it's expensive in Finland.

My question is, it looks like a very children orientated resort, will we feel out of place? We are big fans of Euro-disney so I think we should be OK.

We will probably spend our time out, walking and making the most of the snow and do a couple of trips but, without young children, I wasn't sure whether we would feel out of place.

I know there are trips for adults but they look like they are based in towns and focus on shopping, bars and clubs. We want a proper Lapland experience!

Cheers

liverpool
Level Contributor
430 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Hi not been there but they have their own Facebook page where the reps post up to date pictures, links etc so may be worth a look!

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

We looked at this too but got the impression it's on its own in the woods so all inclusive as there's nothing else around-no village,restaurants or other facilities should you choose to go out so you are tied to the hotel. The Thomson entertainment team are based here too and evenings very focused on children although unsure if this is just in December during Santa break season. I also didn't like the idea of eating in the same hotel for every meal.

We eventually booked for Saariselka which is a fantastic small traditional village. If you are looking for a traditional holiday maybe look at a log cabin? We had an apartment but are going back next Feb for a week in a log cabin. We then have more flexibility to self cater or eat in one of the restaurants in Saariselka if we choose. Would def recommend Saariselk-it is very small but has everything you need, local excursion operators plus plenty of snow

Edited: 15 December 2013, 08:17
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Yes, in Pallas there is nothing in miles around the hotel (officially it's called Lapland Hotel Pallas). As a place it's not particularly child oriented place, except for the tour operators' programmes. For Finns the place is a peaceful wilderness "resort" for skiing (both cross-country and downhill). It's in the middle of a national park.

Reviews: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g774922-d647960…

Edited: 15 December 2013, 13:12
Hampshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

I think it sounds perfect for us. To be honest we just want to be able to wander around the fields and forests in the snow (something we don;t get the chance to do much here) and have the opportunity to be able to ride a snowmobile, husky sleigh, etc.

Looking at the Thomson holiday where they give you thermal clothing and all food and drink, taster sessions for the snowmobile, huskies, and a couple of other trips it looks like the most cost effective way of visiting Lapland.

Our worry is, if we go elsewhere and have to pay for food and drink on top, it will be too expensive.

Being in the middle of a forest in the snow sounds amazing!!!

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Haven't stayed there, but also to me it looks like a place for quietness and relaxation rather than a holiday with children.

Some resort centers such as the one in Levi has clubs and party people, but you need to look hard to find busy areas with shopping and clubs.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

It's not really the food that would break anyone's bank if you can afford the trip in the first place. Alcohol in a bar or restaurant will bring the costs up though. An 0.5 l pint of beer costs about 6-7€, a glass of wine a bit more, and a bottle from 30€ up. In the shops prices are not even close to that, but there are no shops in Pallas ;) . You can find half board and even full board packages in other resorts, too (alcoholic drinks are not included in them, I presume). Self-catering is also an option but not in Pallas due to the lack of supermarket in vicinity.

Oh, and I think you do not have a real true image of walking in wintry conditions, as you practically cannot walk across the fields or in forests because the snow drifts will (most likely) be too deep - even up to you thighs - so you must stick to the beaten tracks and roads (walking on cross-country skiing tracks is not allowed. However, snowshoes will help. ;)

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Thomson only go to Pallas in December for the Santa breaks. If you want to go in Jan I thnk Thomson Ski only go to Ruka or IsoSyote, Of course,there may be other UK tour operators who go to Pallas or you could DIY

Hampshire
Level Contributor
761 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

Hi, yes we are looking at going out on 29 December for 4 nights. Think it would be nice to be away for New Years.

We thought Snowy Wilderness Lodge looks like a really nice setting. For a holiday such as this we are not interested in shopping, clubbing or fancy restaurants, just taking in the snowy beauty, a once in a lifetime experience.

For this break it will be nice to know that almost all costs are included, just perhaps one or two activities.

Thanks for your feedback

9. Re: Snowy Wilderness Lodge, Pallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Lapland