We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nellim or Kilpisjiari or muonio for northern lights

New Delhi, India
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nellim or Kilpisjiari or muonio for northern lights

planning a trip to lapland with my gf in mid jan. i really like nellim but theres nothing else to do there..small village. is kilpisjiari or muonio any better. i can rent a car also if it makes sense ..from kittila or ivalo.i am looking to see northern lights and get a sense of local culture by visiting a town which has a few restaurants /bars , sightseeing ,snomobiling/dog sledng.any suggestions would be welcome

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nellim or Kilpisjiari or muonio for northern lights

If I were you, I'd stay in Saariselkä (near Ivalo) and visit Inari for cultural sights (e.g. the Sami Museum Siida). The villages you have picked are tiny and there's hardly anything there. Saariselkä is a ski resort with lots of services.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nellim or Kilpisjiari or muonio for northern lights

Or if you are already considering Muonio, Levi is just 40 minutes away, next to Kittilä. If you are hoping for more than just wilderness and outdoor activities Muonio doesn't offer much - Kilpisjärvi even less. Although Harriniva is located in Muonio, and they can offer good accommodation and lots of activities.

For cultural sights some small but nice museums and galleries in villages near Levi - and even Rovaniemi is not that far. You could easily spend a day checking the sights and some nice pubs also, if decided to stay for a night.

There are decent bus connections, but a rental car would save you some time. Roads are generally in good condition, but if you are nervous about driving in snow, take a small group and visit Levi Rally Center first... :)

levirallycenter.fi/index.php/en/action-park

3. Re: Nellim or Kilpisjiari or muonio for northern lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:18