We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

9 posts
Save Topic
Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Hi, I'm planning to make a budget trip in Lapland in Finland for 3-5 days next month to hunt for the northern lights:p I'd really appreciate some suggestions and details.

- Which are the best places to see the lights? (ivalo?or?...)

- How to arrive Lapland from Helsinki? (I'm travelling from italy, so may stop over in Helsinki, if you got better idea pls let me know :)

- How to move around? is there pubblic transport otherwise private pullman? the cost? what about renting a car (but it would be a problem if the road is icy or snowy)?

Thanks!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Please use the search function above to find answers to your questions - you'll find plenty of threads with similar contents and questions. Have a look also on the Where should I go to see the aurora borealis (northern lights) thread that is available in the Top questions about Lapland box in the top right corner of the web version of TA Lapland forum page.

If you're planning to go to Ivalo/Saariselkä/Inari the easiest will be a flight (Finnair/Norwegian) from Helsinki to Ivalo. Otherwise it would be a train to Rovaniemi and a bus from there - altogether almost 15 h journey or 1.5 h by plane.

9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Thanks a lot!

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Thank you for replying zam72! if I fly to ivalo, then how to get to guesthouses? it there a bus? or I'd better rent a car? is the road snowy?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

There's a bus connection between the Ivalo airport and Saariselkä, but not between the airport and Ivalo or Inari.

The roads will be snowy but all cars are properly equipped for wintry conditions (e.g. studded winter tyres). You can rent the car from the airport (advance reservation advisable): http://www.finavia.fi/en/ivalo/To%2526From/ (at the very bottom of the page).

Edited: 13 January 2014, 13:36
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Which place you'll suggest me to stay for this time?ivalo?saariselka?inari?or another town like rovaniemi and so on? The possibility to see the Lights, the convenience of transportation and the costs will be first considered. thanks again!:)

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

For the convenience of transportation and costs it's Rovaniemi. More connections, more options for accommodation, all activities available, a ski resort, many safari companies, and as a proper town you don't need to settle for touristy services. That means cheaper dining options etc. Also a good hub for daytrips.

But Rovaniemi is still not a resort. If it's more wilderness and sports you are after, then resorts like Saariselkä or Levi are much better. Of course, Rovaniemi is a small town, and you don't need to walk far to be in middle of woods, but still. Also chances for Northern Lights better further north you go.

So it's more up to you, what do you think suits you best. Even if you choose Rovaniemi, don't expect a city break... :) Have some activities on your list, do a daytrip or two. SnowCastle of Kemi, Ranua Zoo and even Levi quite close. Luostotunturi even closer.

9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Thank you for your reply PasiRoi! We've posticipated the trip to march or april... is it still possible to see the northen lights frequently in Lapland? is the road still snowy? thanks

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,348 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Frequently no. You can never say that. There are many variables that affect the Lights. But around March and April is good. Statistics show, that Northern Lights are slightly more likely to appear during weeks around equinox. Something to do with how our magnetic field is aimed towards the Sun.

Main roads might be clear, but most roads will be snowy. It's no problem. All cars have studded tires and it's more like driving on gravel. Not bad at all, quite fun actually.

Things get worse when temperatures are around zero, or if it has gotten warmer for several degrees in a short time. But good minus temperatures are good. This week it has been below -25C and the grip is actually amazing.

9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

Wow it would be amazing living there! thank you very much PasiRoi!

10. Re: Route suggestion Lapland northern lights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 05:18