We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to ski jacket?

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to ski jacket?

Hi,

Our primary purpose for our visit is hopefully to see the Northern Lights. We've previously done winter activities in Lapland before, so my husband and I are content just to stay up most of the night and relax during the day. I definitely won't be skiing, although we might go dog sledging as I did so enjoy that before. Oh, and our lodging provides snowshoes.

I know I could easily buy a ski jacket, but to be honest, I'd like a coat that covers my bum! Trouble is, I haven't seen any comments about other types of coats that would be suitable. I've seen the following two coats - any thoughts on whether they'd be suitable for Lapland in February? Thank you!

trekwear.co.uk/womens/jackets/trespass_ladie…

trekwear.co.uk/womens/jackets/regatta_blissf…

(I can't quite decide if they mean British winters or places where they really know how to do winters!)

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

you can wear any type of coat, just make sure its windproof and you will be ok - its the layers underneath that you need that will keep you toasty warm - both those coats good and like you say, cover your bum - are you planning to wear salopettes too?

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

That's exactly the type I have for everyday city life even in Helsinki in winter. Long enough to keep your back warm + a hood with fur lining to keep the frezing wind at bay. perfect. Just don't buy a too fitting size, you need layers underneath.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,702 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

Oh great, thanks!

Yes I'll probably get some salopettes off Ebay.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

Yes. Both jackets look fine. Just like ones ladies wear on the street. Proper ski jackets probably aren't any warmer. But as they are sports wear a different cut, materials maybe more durable, more technical details etc.

Everyone knows about a good jacket and base layers, but a warm hat, thick mittens and quality shoes are - imho - still the key. If your extremities get cold, there is no jacket or number of layers to cover that. But no worry! You are coming to Lapland. There should be many shops selling handicrafts which ever resort you choose. Nothing better than a thick pair of knitted mittens and a woolen beanie. Or - if you can afford it - a real fur hat.

5. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2015, 06:41
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

Also standing still is bad no matter what you wear. You can stay out for hours (or days) if you just keep moving.

You go to any specator event in winter, a rally or skiing competition for example, and you see lots of hands waving and people jumping up and down to keep warm. In ski jumping competitions during the break between rounds there is often cheerleaders making specators dance. While aurora hunting a brisk walk every few minutes is good.

Also to note, that at first your sympathetic nervous system reacts to the feel of cold, and there isn't much you can do about it. Muscles shiver to generate heat, blood vessels constrict to prevent heat loss. It takes a few days before your body gets used to the cold.

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

fur and down - not exactly great recommendations IMO

8. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 11 January 2015, 06:41
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

I know this isn't the forum for ethical debate, but consumer can (try to) ensure, that down used is a byproduct of food industry and fur is not from farmed animals, but from animals hunted for wildlife management (preventing overpopulation for example). IMO if you have to kill an animal, you should make good use of it and waste little as possible. Same thing done with reindeers.

10. Re: Alternative to ski jacket?

Edited: 11 January 2015, 06:41