We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where better to buy warm clothing

ta
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Where better to buy warm clothing

Hello

We plan to travel to Lapland in Mid-March. Coming from hot country, we don't have warm clothing and would need to buy the inner- thermal layers (we hope to rent the jackets etc).

I wonder where would it be better (cheaper and more choices) to buy- in Helsinki or in Ruka? Theoretically I can shop online, but thought it would be better if we try it before we buy and this delays the shopping to be done in Finland.

Any suggestions? Also are those suits that they rent out really comfortable and is it possible to ski in this outfit?

Thanks

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where better to buy warm clothing

Which ever you would find simpler. If you have time to go shopping in Helsinki, do it there.

Go to any sports store and ask for some technical (or sports) long underwear that they have on sale. Should be good sales in mid March. Shopping centers Kamppi and Forum in Helsinki, or sports stores Intersport and RukaShop in Ruka (or Prisma in Kuusamo).

They will most likely try to sell you Halti or Haglöfs at first, but don't be shy choosing a cheaper house brand. It's more technical details that make the difference in price - seams, fit, durability etc. None that would matter during a short stay. I have never noticed hig-end brands are any warmer than those cheaper ones I have (except windproof underwear), just more comfortable to wear when doing sports.

It's so-and-so if you would need a fleece layer in March. I would check the weather first. But two sets of base layers would be good. You can always use the second one as a mid layer if needed.

So in short: technical underwear, not cotton, and you can't go very wrong.

Thermal suits are ok if you are beginner in skiing. I wouldn't say they are most comfortable but warm they are. And extremities are important - good hat, warm shoes and mittens.

2. Re: Where better to buy warm clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 06:22