We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

Which Ivalo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong kong
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

I would like to go to Ivalo to see the northern light in March, is it a good period and better place to see the northern light? How about the weather and temperture in March at Ivalo? Please reply for me if anyone know that ! Thank you!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

Statistically it is good time, but better go early in March rather than late, as the amount of daylight increases significantly and fast in spring. In the end of March there is already more than 12 hours of daylight!

Kuwait, Al Kuwayt...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

Three of us are visiting Ivalo in mid-January specially to see the northern lights. How good are our chances? If we are not sports-enthusiasts, what are other interesting things to do there? We shall be there for six days.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

You can visit the Sami museum Siida and cultural centre Sajos. Also all the "normal" excursions (snowmobiles, huskies, reindeer etc.) are available. If I were you I would book my accommodation rather in Saariselkä or Inari there is more for a tourist there than in Ivalo that is the administrative centre of Inari municipality. The airport is located in Ivalo. In Saariselkä there's also a spa, long tobogganing run etc.

Edited: 06 December 2012, 09:18
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

You can visit the Sami museum Siida and cultural centre Sajos. Also all the "normal" excursions (snowmobiles, huskies, reindeer etc.) are available. If I were you I would book my accommodation rather in Saariselkä or Inari there is more for a tourist there than in Ivalo that is the administrative centre of Inari municipality. The airport is located in Ivalo.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

You can visit the Sami museum Siida and cultural centre Sajos. Also all the "normal" excursions (snowmobiles, huskies, reindeer etc.) are available. If I were you I would book my accommodation rather in Saariselkä or Inari there is more for a tourist there than in Ivalo that is the administrative centre of Inari municipality. The airport is located in Ivalo.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

Your chances are pretty ok if the Mother Nature, sun, and Mrs. Fortuna are on your side. As a natural phenomenon the appearance of northern lights cannot be guaranteed, so you should build your itinerary around everything else and take them as a special bonus should they be visible during your trip. With the forum search you'll find hundreds of threads about the northern lights, their probability and best places for viewing them.

7. Re: Is it good time to see the northern light in March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2014, 00:15