We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

Hi there,

I am coming from Sydney Australia and I want to do the reindeer ride, ice fishing and ice swimming. Can anyone recommend operators who cater for people on a budget but provide quality ? Everything seems so expensive!

Not interested in husky tours as I will be doing that at Äkäskero Nature Resort.

Zed

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

Everything in Lapland/Finland is going to be expensive. The nordic countries in general are compared to most other countries.

Try looking at reindeer companies rather than tour guide companies as they will just be an intermediary and charge you more for the same trip(so they make money off it as well).

Ice Fishing can be done almost anywhere that there is a lake/river safe to walk out on, might want to ask about that at your hotel...they might have gear for the guests or can point out a place that rents the gear.

Ice Swimming might be a little harder, most companies only set that up on special request. But it is worth it asking your hotel about it. They might be able to set it up or give you the contact of someone who can.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

Hi RoutarescueTeam,

Can you suggest any local reindeer operators operating out of Ravaniemi?I am looking for an all day thing, rather than a short burst around a track.

I hope to be staying at Ruldolf Hostel. In terms of ice fishing, is there a company that you can suggest?

I have done "normal fishing" and know that there are "spots" and rigs etc that need to be set up so guidance is required.

Zed71

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

Zed71 at what time of winter will you be coming in?

The Finns usually don't start Ice Fishing themselves until it starts to warm up at the end of winter(it is just too brutally cold to sit out site for a long time, and the fishing gear freezes quite a bit in the colder days).

Looking through the info i could find it seems that most of the farms have stopped offering their own trips and focus on doing trips for the various Safari Operators.

Only safari operator that to my knowledge operate their own reindeer farm are Wild North but unfortunately they do not have a winter program on their website at this time. Also keep in mind that later part of December and all of January will be quite cold, and reindeer plod along(so no adrenaline filled rides there) so doing it all day may end up being too cold and just plain boring for the later part.

Look at something like 3-4 hour safaris as that is much more realistic(but keep in consideration what is included in the time, if that includes getting dressed(in Rovaniemi) and then also a drive to and from the reindeer farm that is going to make the actual reindeer ride shorter).

Wild North, Safartica and Lapland Safari's are the big 3 in town. Personally i would skip Lapland Safari's as they are the most "commercial". With either of the other two you can still expect to have to pay specially for "solo" trips if you do not want to be put into a larger group(does not always happen, but can).

Most of these companies will have something like a snowmobiles and ice fishing combination. But can always ask about Ice Fishing only if that is you main interest.

Ice Fishing is quite simple actually, it's just a small lure on a small ice fishing rod and a hole in the ice and then it's all about patience(and endurance if you go at it during the colder months).

You might want to look at getting the Ice Fishing and Reindeer trips from the same company, see if you can get some sort of "package deal" or discount.

One strong suggestion, stay away from Lapland Welcome. They do offer "all day reindeer safaris" but they actually operate so far from it that it's about and hour drive each way to and from and that is included in their timeframe, so is getting dressed. Also that company has a VERY bad reputation that it has earned and keeps earning(you can find plenty of info on that both on this site and on youtube).

Hope some of that helps!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

This is what Sirrmakko is offering. I am confirming if it does include a reindeer ride. If it does, it ticks two of hte boxes.

Ice fishing trip into the wilderness by caravan of reindeer

Implementation of January 2011 The second half to in early April (or as long as we have snow enough)

Program including: Guests arrive Sirmakko, reindeer herder welcome visitors. Ice fishing equipment are packed into a sleigh and we start trip to the pond of wilderness. Our route of 2 kilometers passes through a snowy pine-tree and spruce forest and icy swamps.

First we have ice fishing school. On the pond guests make holes through the ice for ice fishing, while listening to the stories of reindeer and Lapis culture. At campfire we enjoy warm drinks and you can make our own sausages.

Return to Sirmakko by the reindeer caravan. After trip - At the farmhouse, a possible warm-up and you will be awarded a Reindeer Driving License.

Program duration about 3 hours

Price: 110, 00 € per adult, 55, 00 € / child, minimum: 3 paying adults or 330, 00 €

Arsy, France
Level Contributor
3,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

have you looked at the sampo icebreaker - it may give you something that you are looking for

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

I have but it is way too expensive.

thanks

7. Re: Reindeer ride, Ice Fishing, Ice swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 07:18