We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

Which Rovaniemi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

We plan to visit both Rovaniemi and Levi (ski). I like to check where is a better place to try out Husky Safari, Snowmobile Safari.

WIth regards to Snow hotel, can we just do a visit and not stay there? If yes, where is a better place Rovaniemi or Levi to set off for snow hotel.

Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

Rovaniemi is a town of about 30,000 inhabitants whereas Levi is a ski resort. Activities are available in both places. The Lainio Snow Village is closer to Levi than Rovaniemi. You do not have to stay overnight in the hotel to be able to visit the place, they also arrange organised excursions from Levi to the Snow Village a couple of times a week.

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

Well, Rovaniemi is a town of about 60'000 inhabitants, but anyway... not huge.

Depenging if you don't come very early in the season, In Rovaniemi snowmobile safaris are often arranged on river ice. It's a safe way for beginners to get a feeling for snowmobile. They go a few kms up, maybe do a little detour, and come back. And of course hundreds of kms of forestry snowmobile trails nearby just as is in Levi. It really is which one you think you'd prefer scenery wise. Rovaniemi is more about the adjacent rivers as in Levi the hills start to get bigger and trees lower, more Lappish in that way.

But not many huskyfarms quite near Rovaniemi. There's on on the Arctic Circle, next to the Santa Claus Village, and a farm called Huskypoint about 15-20 km from Rovaniemi. You could do it all diy and conctact farms directly, or book through a safari company.

But as Zam said Levi is a resort and there is no point going there if you don't plan to do some activities. General partying of course, but that you can do back home also.

Edited: 10 April 2013, 07:42
Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

We are planning to come in mid Dec and thinking of spending 6 days in Rovaniemi and Levi. We intend to have 3 days of skiing + Husky safari, snowmobile safari, snow hotel visit and Santa Claus village and the northern light chase. Will 6 days be enough consider 3 days of skiing?

My plan is to fly in from Singapore to Helsinki and immediately fly to Rovaniemi. Reach Rovaniemi at noon. If Santa Claus is the only activity in Rovaniemi, we will stay in Rovaniemi for only 1 night (only 1 activity will be enough due to the long flight) and then the next morning travel to Levi by bus and send the rest of the 5 days in Levi.

My mum is 60+ and she will not be skiing, which is a more lively place for her to roam around while we go skiing? Christmas market or other form of market or shopping area or sauna for her to past time.

Thanks1

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

Nah, 60+ is very good age to go skiing... :) But for ladies I think Levi has more different treatments available. It would get boring just wondering around Levi or Rovaniemi centre.

On a holiday I personally hate spending only one night at one place and then hurrily arrange myself to another. I prefer to stay for min two nights so you will have at least one full day totally free of hassle.

If you reach Rovaniemi by noon you could have time to visit Santa Claus Village the same day and book either snowmobiling or huskyfarm visit for the next day. Or after long flights just chill and check the town day one and spare the next day for Santa at the Arctic Circle. It's high season so seeing Santa could take some time. Bigger safari companies situated at Rovaniemi town centre, but activities available at the Santa Claus Village also - so you can combine both with one visit. Check:

santaclausvillage.info/services/…

visitrovaniemi.fi/In-English/…Winter

Six days is not much for all your planned activities plus transports between Rovaniemi and Levi.

But if you are not an experienced skier three full days in a row is a lot... :) At the start of the season it's a lot even for an experienced skier. You could leave some of the skiing just for the evening. Both downhill slopes and main cross country trails are well lit. And you could combine Aurora hunting with a late evening husky or snowmobile safari. That time of year day is really short anyway, so you wouldn't experience much of daylight activities.

And as always mid December is still early winter so snow situations might vary, but it should be safe for most of the activities.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

While in Rovaniemi, do not miss Arktikum arctic science centre and provincial museum of Lapland, and Pilke forest science centre is also worth a look.

(Sorry about the mistyped number of inhabitants...)

Singapore
Level Contributor
196 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

Thanks for the information.

Arctice winter world looks fun! As an adult, I felt like a kid after looking at the photos, not to mention the kids. Will definitely include Artice winter world as part of the plan for Rovaniemi.

http://www.arctice.fi/en/info/

7. Re: Rovaniemi or Levi for activity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 05:17