We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sleeping compartment on night trains

Hong Kong
1 post
Save Topic
sleeping compartment on night trains

I'm planning to take a night train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi, I'm a bit confused about the berths and sleeping compartment.

I have a group of 4, 1 couple + 1 girl + 1 guy, I've read the sleeping compartments only fit 3 people? So my only choice are berths?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

Helsinki-Rovaniemi trains have sleeping compartments with 2 beds and 2 compartments can be combined (ie door between the compartments).

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

Yep. Night trains coming to Rovaniemi have double-decker sleeping cars and some of the compartments on the lower deck can be combined for a "family compartment". For that I think it's better to contact VR customer support - doubt if it's possible to book a "double compartment" online.

vr.fi/en/…ota_yhteytta.html

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

It is possible in the "new" VR online shop to choose the berths you want - you just have to know yourself which cabins/berths can be combined but that you can figure out in the VR Passenger Car Album: vr.fi/CMS/… (interconnectible compartments for families or group passengers on lower level; berths 103-106, 107-110 and 111-114).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

I am looking at doing the overnight train trip. How far in advance should I book ? I am just a single person. I am travelling in early/ mid January.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

You can book max two months ahead.

Edited: 11 December 2013, 00:57
Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

A berth means that you will be sharing a sleeping compartment with someone. A compartment has a bunk bed with two beds. When you book a berth you need to tell your gender, the compartments are separate for men and women.

When traveling solo you can also book the whole compartment for privacy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

ohhh...that will be good. I don't mind sharing just to reduce cost....so long as my room mate does not snore ! I have little patience with snorers. So a berth compartment is the way to go ?

Zara

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

I guess with female companions the chances for snoring cabin mates is much less likely than with their male counterparts ;) . Nowadays on the Helsinki-Rovaniemi route all cabins are for two persons. On the Helsinki-Kolari route they still use the older rolling stock with 3 persons' cabins. Three person cabin carriages are also occasionally added onto the peak holiday services to allow more capacity, but you'll see it in the VR booking engine when reserving the tickets what cabins are available.

A sleeping compartment on a Finnish train has proper (bunk) beds with real cotton sheets and bedding - no paper versions etc. like they have in many other countries. Also small towels are provided in sleeping compartments and even bath towels in the upper level compartments with a private shower. You can find further info on the night trains and sleeping compartments at vr.fi/en/…yo_ja_autojunat.html .

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

Heh Zam72, when I booked they did not ask me if I was male or female! oh no!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sleeping compartment on night trains

They do ask it when you select whether you're booking a sleeping berth, compartment or a seat. At the bottom of that part you'll have to select male or female berths. If you've chosen sleeping compartment, this won't be asked as you'll be booking the entire cabin for yourself.

Get answers to your questions about Rovaniemi