We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

Which Rovaniemi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

Hello Guys,

I am planning what to do in Santa Claus Village and I have quite a number of questions below. Hopefully it is not too much for one single post. :-) And thank you very, very much in advance for helping me with a happy holiday in Finland!

(1) I understand that the the Santa Claus Village in general open from 10am-5pm. May I ask what are the opening hours of the restaurants in the Village then?

(2) Are there any nice viewing locations for Northern Lights nearby that you could recommend to me? And are there any special facilities (heated waiting room, toilet etc.) for visitors near these locations? How can I get there?

(3) For the 3 hour long snowmobile trip, are there any resting time and toilet facilities along the track?

(4) I have just looked at the opening schedules of some activities. I would like to take a 2-3 hour snowmobile drive in the morning at 10am, have a lunch at 1pm, then a 3km ride on Reindeer from 2pm or so and then lastly at 4pm or so a 5km Husky ride. May I ask if this plan is realistic?

(5) What bus should I take to get to Rovaniemi down town? What is the frequency for the bus and do they work at night? (Otherwise how to take dinner in Rovaniemi down town @@~)

(6) Entry to Arctice took 16 euro... May I ask what exactly am I paying for? Since I suppose that I can walk around Arctice and have food in the Arctice restaurant anyway...?

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

Hello! Glad to hear you are coming to Rovaniemi. I'm a bit in a hurry, so please don't take this as a rude gesture, but I try to keep my answers short. But that's what you will encounter coming to Finland anyway... :)

1) You could have a lunch there, but for dining I would head to downtown Rovaniemi.

2) Not any man made. Walk from Santa Claus Village near to SantaPark. From SantaPark entrance about 400 meters there is a very nice viewing spot at top of hill Syväsenvaara. In middle of woods. No facilities. You can pee in the snow if need to

3) They should take a break at some point, and there could be a modest toilet. You will be in woods, so it will be like camping.

4) I would skip a tight schedule.

5) Bus number 8 and it's the only local bus. About once an hour. Taxi a good option. It's also a nice walk to take at least once, about 8 km though.

6) Tobogganing and a closer look to the facilites.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 20:13
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

Hello PasiRoi,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I want to further ask a bit about (2) and (6).

I have also written an email asking Santa Claus Village about where to see the Northern Light part, and I just received their reply 3 min ago. they said I should instead join their Northern Light safari tour. However, looking into details I believe their guide will just take us to some where on foot only anyway... Do you have any idea where their guide is taking us to anyway?

Does bus number 8 run at night too? if not, is it easy to hail a taxi on the street at night in downtown Rovaniemi back to Santa Claus Village? Roughly how much?

Thank you once again!

Bosco

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

A northern lights safari can be fun. I haven't been to any organized one (no need to as a local, can do my own "safaris"), so I don't know where exactly they will take you, but there are some nice scenic places around Rovaniemi. For example Kuninkaanlaavu (a king's shelter) is one place where snowmobile routes often go. Just 6-7 km from Rovaniemi town center. Looks like this in autumn: …staticflickr.com/2836/11562193824_a16b4314a…

If auroras appear they will be visible even in Santa Claus Village. Just step outside from your cabin. You can't predict them, and a safari doesn't make your chances any better. Most of the nights we don't see them anyway. But advantage of a safari is that you will get a memorable experience even if they don't appear. Guides are skillful and tours are perfectly safe (ok, on snowmobiles accidents happen every now and then). Unique Lapland is a safari company that operates from Santa Claus Village, many more dowtown Rovaniemi: uniquelapland.com/northern-lights-tours/

Bus number 8 doesn't drive at night. Only during opening times of the Village. Taxi is pretty easy to get, about 20 euros to Santa Claus Village. You either call a taxi by phone or walk to a taxi stand. There are couple, but I think the most convenient one is the one next to McDonalds. Only one McDonalds here, so you can't miss it... :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
46 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

You can get a feel for the Rovaniemi bus routes & schedule by looking at this web page:

rovaniemi.fi/International/…Local-Buses

And, unless you're bringing anyone under the age of 13, I personally wouldn't recommend a stay at Santa Claus Village. It reminded me too much of a kitschy shopping mall and somewhat of a tourist trap. Nice to visit once, would drive me crazy to be stuck at. Better to use downtown Rovaniemi as a "home base".

5. Re: Some Plannings for a 3 Days Stay in Santa Claus Village...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2014, 06:18