We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Rovaniemi

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Rovaniemi

Hello guys,

Sorry for being a problem child! Hopefully this will be the last set of questions I have before setting out to Rovaniemi!

(1) Are shops in Santa Claus Village much more expensive than shops in Rovaniemi downtown? Are there any special souvenirs or products that will only be available in either places?

(2) How to refund VAT? Do I need to do anything special during my purchase, fill some forms or buy a minimum amount of things from the same shop or so? I hold a Hong Kong passport and I am apparently a non-EU passport holder eligible for tax refund.

(3) My itinerary is to enter EU in Helsinki, then fly to Rovaniemi, go to Tallinn, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Oslo then back to Hong Kong. However, since Norway is not in EU, I suppose I need to refund tax twice, once in Copenhagen before flying to Oslo, and one in Oslo, is that right?

(4) How does the refund process goes in the respective airports (or perhaps I get the refund directly from the shop?)?

Thank you very much again, guys!

Bosco

Stockholm...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Rovaniemi

Hi just come back from Rovaniemi, found shopping for gifts more expensive in the town than at Santa Claus village or at other attractions. For example in city reindeer skins 140 euros and at the reindeer farm from as little as 65 euros.

Tax returns, all shops know what you require and ask at the airport when you land.

Have fun

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Rovaniemi

For tax free refund instructions (Finland) see globalblue.com/destinations/…

Norway: globalblue.com/destinations/… .

In Norway, they'll accept an export validation stamp from a Global Blue Refund Point in Norway, Sweden, Finland or Denmark.

You'll get the refund and customs validation stamp for goods purchased in an EU country at your last point of call within EU irrespective of the EU member state where you purchased your goods. So the question is where are you flying from Oslo? If you change planes at an EU airport before flying to Hong Kong, then that will be your last point of call in the EU.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Rovaniemi

I fly like this:

Hong Kong -> Helsinki -> Rovaniemi

{Supposedly Irrelevant in between}

Rovaniemi -> Helsinki -> Stockholm -> Copenhagen

{Supposedly Irrelevant in between}

Copehnagen -> Oslo

Oslo -> Helsinki -> Hong Kong

I will have 1 hour transit at Helsinki in this case. Before then I have left EU once (Norway not in EU) then re-enter EU again for 1 hour (at Helsinki transit), how to count then?

So, does that mean I have to claim EU VAT at Copenhagen (because Norway is not in EU, so Copenhagen should be last point of call), then claim Norway VAT at Oslo airport?

(I could not have buy anything to have VAT refund in 1 hour Finland transit lol.)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Rovaniemi

You'll have to claim and get the customs and refund stamps for EU purchases at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport during the transit before your flight to Hong Kong. Global Blue and Finnish Customs have their service points on the airside opposite the gate 29 before the passport control. After the refund you can continue to the passport control (next to gate 30) and proceed to your departure gate. Should your flight from Oslo be on time, you'll have enough time. If you don't have enough time, then just get the customs stamp only and you can then send the papers to Global Blue by post as instructed on their website. You can also pick up a prepaid postage envelope from the Global Blue service desk next to the Customs desk.

5. Re: Shopping in Rovaniemi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:20