We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer vacation question

Mixco, Guatemala...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Summer vacation question

Hi everyone, I'm planning a vacation to Finland late July and then heading south to Germany for Wacken. I've read a lot and have always wanted to visit Finland but most of what I've really loved happens during winter, which is a no-no for me, at least for now (considering the lowest temperature I've ever been in is 4C, haha).

So I was wondering and who better to answer than the Trip Advisor members :) I haven't bought any air tickets yet, but I'm planning to be on FInland 4-5 days and have absolutely no idea what to do there. I am willing (and actually would love to) rent a car there as I've heard a lot about the roads and so I can explore more.

Is there any cool thing to do in northern Finland during summer? Is it worth going? I love anything pretty much from just walking to sightseeing to music festivals, but there's so much that I wouldn't know where to start :)

Could anyone that has gone to Finland during Summer (late July) or perhaps a local provide some insight?

Thanks a lot and greetings from Guatemala :)

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Germany
Germany
Europe
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer vacation question

Best thing about summer in Northern Finland is the midnight sun. In late July to see the sun itself you need to drive as far as to Utsjoki, but even here in Rovaniemi - at the level of the Arctic Circle - nights will still be bright. It will get dimmish for a couple of hours after midnight but not dark at all. It's like a long sunset.

People fuss about the Northern Lights, but personally I cant wait for those bright summer nights... :) Late bike trips, sauna and bbq at the middle of a nigt, just chilling in a hammock...

So what to do... Not much festivals in the North in July. The last weekend of July Qstock in Oulu - maybe. In Rovaniemi Santa Claus Village is of course open 365 days a year. If you come this far should take a short visit. Lots of touristy stuff to keep you interested for a couple of hours.

But it's more activities we do. You can have your husky and reindeer farm visits also in summer. Combine it with a river cruise. In Rovaniemi the view from the river is very beautiful. At the farms you can feed the reindeers or have a short husky ride at the back of a wagon.

Quad biking, dirt karting, river rafting, canoeing? At Ounasvaara, a resort just by the center of Rovaniemi, a summer sled track is great fun, but even better is renting a mountain bike plus gear and hit the trails. One of the best trails in Finland here, the sport is really booming. You will get good advice if you are still a beginner. There are also nice and scenic routes along the river lines for easier rides.

But you should also visit those nearby northern resorts like Luosto, Pyhä or Levi. Only about two hours of drive from there. They will be pretty quiet in summer, but that doesn't spoil the view. Lots of well marked hiking paths around the hills. And if you go up even mosquitoes not a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Utsjoki
Utsjoki
Lapland, Finland
Finland
Finland
Europe
Luosto
Luosto
Lapland, Finland
Levi
Levi
Lapland, Finland
Mixco, Guatemala...
Level Contributor
16 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer vacation question

Thank you for the reply! I will definitely be checking that out :)

However, I don't have that much time to be there, do you still think it would be worth it to pick one of those days and grab a night train to Lapland and then a night train back to Helsinki? :)

Mentioned in this post
Lapland
Lapland
Finland
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer vacation question

Just for one day... Hmm, taking a night train you would save two nights in a hotel so maybe. Afterall they are making daytrips even from UK so I'm not saying it's not feasible from Helsinki... :)

But you would need to plan ahead to get anything out from it. Just for the sights I would say no. But then visitors seem to enjoy just the experience of a night train through Finland - especially in summer.

You could have some safari activitiy or excursion in the morning, visit the main sights like Santa Claus Village and maybe Arktikum in the afternoon and have a dinner and a couple of beers in the evening before getting back to the train.

There are "summer weekly programmes" released each year that are scheduled safari programmes and excursions that anyone can join. They often start in the morning. You could join one of those to visit a husky or a reindeer farm for example. Better to book before still. Our tourist board releases a new list closer to the summer, but here's something that was on offer last summer:

safartica.com/The-House-of-Adventures/Summer…

laplandwelcome.fi/activities/summer-safaris-…

You can join those programmes even if you are travelling solo.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Finland
Europe
Santa Claus Village
Santa Claus Village
3,049 Reviews
Rovaniemi, Finland
4. Re: Summer vacation question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20