We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovaniemi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rovaniemi

Hi All

I am going to Lapland with my kids in December for Christmas and I have found it very hard to get any information from the travel agents here as as they do not know much about Lapland. I have so far booked my accommodation and tours and that was an ordeal to just get that done. I was wondering if anybody knows where I could hire the outer clothing for my family or even if it is needed, and how hard is it to get around at that time of year. thanks

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovaniemi

Safari companies have snowsuits for hire, ask the ones you booked your tours with. But I would still choose a ski jacket and ski pants for your leisure time. Many threads about winter clothing on this forum.

In winter it's not any harder to get around than in summer. Rovaniemi downtown you can manage by foot, Arktikum, Korundi, Pilke, shopping... Safari companies have pick-up points downtown also, or they pick you up at your hotel. Airport taxi to and from the airport, and a local bus or a normal taxi to the Santa Claus Village. If planning daytrips both bus and railway stations within walking distance from the hotels. Ski resort Ounasvaara somewhat within walking distance or a short taxi ride (about 3 kms).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovaniemi

Thank you so much I will contact the tour company with regards to hiring clothes. You have been very helpful, I have been thinking of buying snow clothes here, but the rest of our trip will not be that cold so I did not want to have to lug around unnecessary clothes.

Thanks Kathy

Rovaniemi, Finland
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovaniemi

If you want something more versatile than a full snow suit, soft-shell jackets and pants are proven also in arctic conditions. You can manage in pretty cold conditions with just a good protective shell layer and adjusting the rest with mid and base layers. From different materials soft-shell works both in winter and during those rainy and windy months in autumn.

Of course it's not as warm as a thermal jacket, if you are just standing still. But if you are keeping at least reasonably active, walking to sights etc, it should be enough for most conditions. Except for those extreme low temperatures, but we often don't get those in December. Then on safaris you will be provided with a thermal suit.

Jackets like these with matching pants:

halti.fi/content/…20jacket.html

www.8848altitude.com/…

4. Re: Rovaniemi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:16