We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Which Kuusamo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

OMG! Just managed to book to go to Ruka this Sunday (8th Feb), sooo excited!!!

Didn't think we were going to go at all this year but saw a great last minute and thought 'why not lets go for it'

So much to do, so little time.... :-)

Jo

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Wow lucky you Jo,Have a great time:-)

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Jo

Please can you let me know how Ruka as a resort compares to either levi or Yllas.

I'm not sure as a resort if it's like either of the 2 resorts mentioned or totally different?

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Blunny

Nice to hear from you again, seems a yearly ritual for me, posting on TA and getting replys from the regulars - long may it continue - lol.

Was in Levi last Feb (08) so it will be good to compare it with Ruka, last time we were in Ruka was 2006 so I'm sure we'll see some changes :-)

Jo

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Lol Jo i'm still around,I only came across the Kuusamo forum today as i have my page set on the lapland forum,cant believe after a few years on here i have only just found it.

I saw that deal to ruka and so wished we had of had the time to have taken it,it was a great deal to.

Will be intersted to hear how ruka is now since your last visit there and how it compares as a resort to levi as it's one resort that we would like to visit in lapland,the only thing that's putting me of visiting there early december is the weather.It may be worth us looking at visiting there during february time instead.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Just a quick notice for the worry about the weather: Kuusamo and Ruka (which officially do not belong to Lapland as they are located in the northeastern corner of Oulu Province ;-) ) are among the most snow sure places in Finland. Scenic and nature wise it doesn't really differ from the more northern ski resorts. The biggest difference being maybe that the surrounding fells have more trees than in the more northern locations.

Ruka is usually the first resort in Finland to open their first slope. This takes place usually already around mid October! But then there isn't necessarily much or any snow outside the slopes yet.

Among Finns Ruka and Levi have a rather similar image. Both have a built up centre where everything is more or lesswithin walking distance, but there are cottages and cabins around Ruka on every side of the actual fell - even far from it. Cottages that the Finns use can be even 50 km away from the actual the resort :-) .

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Thanks Zam.

I know that the ski slopes are always snow covered there early but more worried about snowfall around the village etc if we do choose to visit there the first week in december.

Im bad enough worrying about snowfall in december at the best of times but being that the resort is more south i surpose im sligtly more worried about risking it and going to the resort so early.

Am i being silly:-)

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

I used to live in Kuusamo over a decade ago. As far as I can remember there was always snow on the ground by mid November. I guess that the only exception has been last year...

The first snow falls already in early October usually, but does not stay on the ground then yet. Mean temperature of October is usually around zero or bit below it, not to mention December when it is already usually below -10 degrees of centigrate.

St Ives, United...
Level Contributor
4,159 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

Ok thanks Zam:-)

9. Re: Just booked to go on Sunday - Yipee!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Kuusamo
Recent Conversations