We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helsinki to st. petersburg

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
6 posts
Save Topic
helsinki to st. petersburg

I will be in finland in august and want to travel from helsinki to st. petersburg via ferry. is this possible? if so how long does it take and how much does it cost?

Helsinki
Level Contributor
294 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

To my knowledge there isn't any ferry connection between Helsinki and St. Petersburg. Your choices would be taking a train or a plane. There might also be a bus connection but I wouldn't recommend that since the customs at the Russian border can take a very long time.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

The ferry Helsinki-St Petersburg was around for one or two seasons, but unfortunately not anymore.

Centreville...
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

There is a good train connection that leaves Helsinki at 7:27 a.m . (there is also one later in the day) and leavs St.P at 4:32 p.m.

Got mixed messages about waiting to get tickets in Helsinki and decided to do it before we left the U.S. Call 866-732-7386 - they are very helpful.

The round trip fare in "standard" class is $150.00. 1st class is $44 more. I'm sure you'll need to get a visa from the Russian Embassy before you go. ..... An interesting procedure I might add!

Brazil
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

Is this prices in USD or euros?

St-Petersburg...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

I saw on some russian website there will be a ferry to St-Petersburg from Helsinki. It plans to start in July this summer. So you may check if it is true in August, when you come to Helsinki.

Oh, the company website stellacompanygroup.com there is something in the news about st-Pet

As far as I know, thouse who travel by ferry and live on the ship have less visa problems in Russia (do not need it, or get it very fast), there are some special cruises to st-petersburg, but I do not know the companies.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

There will be a new ferry link between Helsinki and St. Petersburg starting in July this year:

http://www.stellalines.com/ .

Bratislava
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

Stella Lines offered a ferry connection between Finland and Russia.

The ferry service commenced in August 2008 aboard a completely renovated cruise ferry - M/s Julia sailing between Helsinki and St Petersburg.

However after barely 2 months of service, the operation was cancelled as the ferry servicewas deemed un-popular among tourists.

There are currently no alternative ferry services between Russia and Finland.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

M/S Julia was on auction a week so a go, no bidders though. The ship is still for sale for those who are interested.

manchester
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

now theres another ferry service, operated by tallink, difficult to book though as their sites are in estonian or Russian

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: helsinki to st. petersburg

Where do you base this info? Any source, as there has been absolutely no advertising of the service. Tallink operated the route for a while a couple of years back but discontinued it as unprofitable.