We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Helsinki Expensive

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
201 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Is Helsinki Expensive

Hi - Visiting for the first time. How expensive is Helsinki compared to say London, for meals, drinks, clubs etc ???

Thanks

Espoo, Finland
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Helsinki Expensive

Hiya bax52!

If you've managed in London, you will surely manage in Helsinki. The prices are probably about the same with slight variations in the prices of imported goods for example. If you go looking for Magners cider, you'll find that it's easily double the price. But, if you're brave, you'll try Finnish beer or cider and get it cheaper.

You'll usually have to pay a small fee to get into a club after 10pm - usually anything from 1,50€ to 7€ (if the club has a big party). There are a few pubs/clubs in Helsinki where everything happens in English - Molly Malone's, Dubliner, Kitty O'Shea's, London Pub... all in the heart of Helsinki. You can also get proper English brew from these pubs.

Take-out can be expensive because Finnish people have only gotten used to it in the past 5-10 years and still tend to cook everything from scratch. But, if you've got a bit of time, you'll find yourself a nice meal for 5€ (McDonald's) or about 10€ (Chinese, Indian, Japanese, etc...). Restaurants will be a bit more expensive and you'd probably spend about 10-25€ for a decent meal, not including drinks.

Hope you enjoy Helsinki!

Switzerland
Level Contributor
563 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Helsinki Expensive

In one word yes. However, if you are used to London you should be ok. I assume you are from the UK and should have your strong GBPs to help you out.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,589 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Helsinki Expensive

I wasn't slumming it, and found it about the same or cheaper than London. Eg excellent 4 star hotel suite overlooking harbour for about £70 (half usual price. easily treble that in London). Top restaurants about 30-50GBP per head.

transport very cheap and plentiful. Puts London underground to shame. Get an all-day tram ticket for 2GBP. One tram route is a figure of 8 around the city.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Helsinki Expensive

After a nine year absence (much too long) I had a quick trip to Helsinki late last year. I found it a bit cheaper than London for most things; my clubbing days are behind me, though, so I can't say how the prices compared in that area.

Helsinki is a brilliant city, well worth the time and money to have a good look around.

5. Re: Is Helsinki Expensive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 10:38