We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tourist card and seat boat tour

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
tourist card and seat boat tour

I will be in Helsinki on a cruise in June (for 8 hrs). I wonder whether I can buy the tourist card (for public transportation) at the west terminal (west harbor)?

Or I can buy it online beforehand? If not, where can

I get it while I am there? Anyway close to the west

terminal so that I don't have to go all the way

to market square first?

Another thing is I saw in the forum mentioning about seat boat tour. How long does that take? And how much is it? Any information online that I can

look at? I plan to go to the SS fortress and

the open air museum also. And since the cruise

will be going in and out Helsinki by sea, would

it be a duplicate thing to see? (Since I only

get limited # of hrs in Helsinki.)

How far away is the market square to the central

train station? is it within walking distance?

If so, how long is the walk?

Anywhere to find a good printable map of Helsinki

online?

Does it rain in early June in Helsinki? Do I need a

rain jacket all the time?

Thanks.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
294 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

Wow, a lot of questions. So nice at this quiet time of the year...

Unfortunately you apparently can't buy the Helsinki Card in the West Harbor. On their website there's a list of places to buy it, so check it out:

http://www.helsinkiexpert.fi/helsinkicard/

There's also info about sightseeing by bus there.

Concerning sightseing by sea I wouldn't recommend it to you since you have such a limited amount of time. The option by bus is an alternative. Here's a link anyway:

http://www.ihalines.fi/english/index.html

The Market Square is about a 10-15 minutes walk from the Central Railway Station. The boats to Suomenlinna Fortress island leave from there. This is something I would definitely recommend, especially if the weather is nice. The boat ride is about 15 minutes one way. Check their website for more info:

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/index.php?lang=eng

Concerning maps, go to Google and search with: "Map of Helsinki". Several good alternatives there.

Concerning the weather and the possibility of rain this is something you never know. It can be very nice and warm or quite cold and rainy at that time of the year. Let's hope you get lucky.

Enjoy your short stay !

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

Hi, Thank you for quick response and information. I am interested in the 1-day tourist ticket just for public transportation only. I found it in the HKL HST website. Are they for sale in the west terminal?Or I have to go to market square?

Between spending more time in the fortress or going to both the fortress and the open air museum also. What do you think?

Helsinki
Level Contributor
294 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

I don't know if they sell the traveller ticket in the Western Terminal. I wouldn't bother too much about it since you can buy a ticket in all trams and buses for 2 Euros. The ticket is valid for one hour, so if you decide to go to Suomenlinna for example you can use the same ticket all the way from the West Harbor to Suomenlinna.

If you only have eight hours I think going both to Suomenlinna and the Open Air Museum might be too much. Of the two I would prefer Suomenlinna. There are some nice small museums there too.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

Hi,

Just adding another suggestion, I loved the harbour cruise around Helsinki Harbour which also includes

Suomenlinna.

I love Helsinki, and the interesting aspect of the city to me is the harbour. Very few cities in the world have such a beautiful harbour (apart from Sydney/ Capetown) I place Helsinki as one of my favourite cities in the world.

I do hope you enjoy your stay, Helsinki is so accessible by foot which makes it just that little more fascinating compared to other cities.

EM.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
138 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

Can you tell me more about the harbor cruise? You mentioned it includes the SS fortress. Does it stop there for some period of time? How long is the total cruise? Aprrox how much is the cost?

Also, for the comment about accessible by foot, does it mean that I can walk to the rock church by foot too (how long is the walk?) from the market square. I found that there is bus/tram to the rock church. I do need to take a bus/tram, don't I?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

Your best option is to catch a taxi from your cruise to the Market Square, it will be minimum cost.

You can walk everywhere from MS. The information centre is across the road and all tours operate from MS. You will be flooded with info once you get to Market Square.

Market Square to the Central Station is do-able on foot, approx 10-15mins.

The best option is to get a Helsinki Card city tour which allows you to do different things (cheapest way).

You can see Senate Square, Presidential Palace, City Hall, Opera House, Olympic Stadium and the Rock Church (temppeliaukio)plus other attractions.

You can also include the fortress into your itinerary. To get the best, you need to wait and go straight to the tourist information centre at Market Square.

Helsinki
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

You can buy one day tourist ticket in Ruoholahti R kiosk and also from the driver ytv.fi/ENG/…tourists.htm

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
908 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

world bunny -

I see you're from CA, too (like me) and going on a cruise in June. I'll be on a Baltic Cruise in June - we might even be on the same ship. Anyhow, I have researched Helsinki on www.cruisecritic.com and other websites. Just in case you're not aware, this is a great website for cruising info. Below are notes I've taken down from fellow cruisers and experts; please note that I can't validate accuracy of the info. I haven't been there yet. Altho' I'm sure they're giving the info to the best of their ability and knowledge.

Okay, here are possible transports to Market Square:

At the pier, if you're docked at LHC West Harbour, within a few meters, take

1)Ship’s shuttle from pier to city for $12. Then take Open double-decker HO/HO bus– 24E/adult (combo City Bus Tour and boat trip to Soumelinna Island). Every 45 mins; duration 1 hr. 15 mins.

2)At the pier, take local bus 16 (single ticket 2.20 E) from Hernesaari dock to Esplanade Park (10 mins). If you only plan to do a walking tour around the city. Go to TI in yellow building west of the farmers’ market. Ask for city map.

3) Also at the pier, take local bus 16; purchase one day tourist ticket for 6E for single (8E for couple with a family traveling together) from the bus driver (#16). Use it for 3T/3B tram all day, ferry to Soumenlinna (if weather is good) subway and buses. Ferry will take you the Main Quay while the water buses will take you to Visitor Center Quay in Artillery Bay. From the bus, connect to 3T/3B tram at one of the stops. "There are four possible stops, Iso Roobertinkatu, Erottaja, Kauppatori and Senaatintori. To make the whole "8" loop and then step off, this place is not the best to continue from. I think "Kauppator” at the eastern end of the Esplanade Park might be the best one. Its easy to locate, close to the tram stop and also close to the tourist office, farmers market, ferry to the castle and the cathedral so it will leave all your options open."

"Those who plan to use tram 3T/3B in Helsinki this summer (2008) should note that there is a change in the route due to extensive road work at Porthaninkatu. The trams will use Helsinginkatu-Hämeentie instead. See this map: hel.fi/wps/wcm/resources/...h_2007_net.pdf

"It means that on the map 3T from stop #19 will go straight to the edge of the map and then back to rejoin the normal route at stop #23 (and tram 3B the other way from #23 to#19.). There aren't much to see for tourists in that part of town anyway (with the possible exception of Kallio Church) you'll not miss much, but it is perhaps good to know it in advance to avoid confusion when the tram starts to go in wrong way."

BTW, if you want a map and since you're from CA ask for one at the Consulate General of Finland's website at www.finland.org. They're office is L.A. They will mail you one if they still have it. I have requested and I will be getting mine soon in the mail.

I plan to take bus #16 with 3T/3B tram connection. It's a good deal.

Happy cruisin'!!!

Eau Claire...
Destination Expert
for Copper Harbor
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

I also think that doing Soumenlinna and Seurasaari (the open air museum) is too much on your limited time there. I'd do one or the other.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tourist card and seat boat tour

I'd definitely skip the Seurasaari museum. It's far from the harbour and not very well guided. Instead I would visit the museum of natural history that just opened after renovation, check …helsinki.fi/english/…finland.htm

They have a tour about the finish nature "See Finland in an hour". Suomenlinna will cover for the history.

The museum of natural hostory is near the rock church and within a walking distance from the MS (2 km max).

And no, you do not need a rain jacket all the time. But it is a good idea to have one with you.