We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helsinki in december

london
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
helsinki in december

Im thinkin of going to Helsinki for a nice pre-Xmas break to get in the mood for Christmas... will be there weekend of 12-15th Dec. Any good or should we look elsewhere?

If so should we stay at Palace hotel (not palace kamp the palace hotel) or Scandic Grand Marina? I think Palace is more central?

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: helsinki in december

Hi,

Palace is more central, Grand Marina is 5-10 mins walk more from the centre.

I think the time is good for pre Xmas activities. The weather can be anything, though.

Helsinki
Level Contributor
294 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: helsinki in december

The timing should be good for Christmas activities.

I would consider other options for hotels though. Both your alternatives are OK, but I think you could do better. At least Hotel Glo has got very good reviews from other people and is as centrally located as you can be in Helsinki.

Finlandia
Level Contributor
18 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: helsinki in december

Hi

If Scandic Marski is in the same price I would prefer that before Grand Marina. Marski is really in the center, close to everything.

Depends what u want to do.. Mannerheimintie is the main street in the center and Marski is on Mtie 10.

If You can choose also Sokos hotels are good enough, they have a lot of hotels in Finland&Helsinkiarea.

If u are looking for a nice view from the sauna I would recommend Scandic Continental,morning sauna and swimmingpool included in the price. BUT then u have to walk 10 minutes to catch the center.

Thame, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: helsinki in december

I quite liked Grand Marina, many years ago . I don't know about Palace, except from the outside. There's not much between the distances from the centre of the city between the two. They are also both accessible by tram if you don't feel like walking.

Also check out the City of Helsinki's hotel guide

http://www.hel2.fi/Tourism/en/matko.asp

london
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: helsinki in december

Is this a good time of year to go though to get in the Christmas spirit? Is there enough to do for a weekend break?

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: helsinki in december

It's the right in the middle of the Christmas frenzy so definitely it's the right time if you're interested in that.

Thame, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: helsinki in december

You should find plenty to see for a weekend. The "Christams Path" will be open on Seurasaari on the Sunday 14th (1 pm -5 pm), there will be music and things to see and its free. There will probably be other events, but I haven't seen the calendar for December yet.

If the weather is bad there is always Christmas shopping and lots of goodies to taste.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,488 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: helsinki in december

13.Dec is Lucia - there will be some festivities around the Dome.

In December we normally have Christmas booths along Esplanadi park in central Helsinki, booths selling souvenirs, handicrafts, delicatesses etc. It's best value after 4 pm when it's dark.

london
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: helsinki in december

Thanks for all your advice-very much appreciated. Im off over there this Friday!!

10. Re: helsinki in december

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 12:32