We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
olathe, ks
2 posts
Save Topic
weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

What kind of clothing would I need for a trip to Helsinki in January?

What activities would be available for a senior traveler at this time in Helsinki?

Kansas Granny

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

The temperature today is roughly 10 degrees of frost, little or no snow. The sea is not yet frozen. Typically the daytime temperature is below freezing in January, so gloves and headgear covering the ears are essential. A chunky sweater, preferably padded jacket and pants. Unless you are planning to spend a great deal of time outdoors you will not need to dress for an Arctic expedition, however, as buildings are well heated (sometimes too well).

Activities? Everything you find in a medium-sized town and quite a bit more as this is a capital city. Everything from sightseeing to opera a good many art galleries. For shopping you are probably best off at the Stockmann department store, which has sales in January. What activities are you interested in?

olathe, ks
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

Am thinking about a trip w/son to Helsinki in Jan. He will be going for business. I am going as tag-along mom. If I can go, I would like a guided tour of walk-to attractions. Any tour companies available for persons like myself. I have toured many American cities on my own and get along fine.

I am a shopping pro and don't need any help with that. January sales sound good to me.

Clothing is a concern. With mild KS temps, I doubt I have the "heavy duty clothing your temps call for but could probably locate some - - - even in KS.

KsSimple

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,499 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

Well, there's not a whole lot of point in spending a pile of money on stuff you're only going to wear once. Just dress as warmly as you reasonably can. This will get you to the shops if you happen to experience a cold snap (and it gets colder than the interior of your freezer here at times), where you will be able to get end-of-season replenishments inexpensively.

About the biggest mistake you can make is unsuitable footwear. High heels and skimpily built shoes in general are not much good on ice.

Tours and such are not as readily available as in summer, but here's one leading provider: www.helsinkiexpert.fi/index_english.html

Their audio city tour (helsinkiexpert.fi/sightseeing/audiocitytour.…) gives you Helsinki in a nutshell. Walking, with some help from Helsinki's excellent public transport, will get you to the same places as the tour if you prefer to be independent (I hate organized tours myself). Just pick up a free map and brochures at the city tourist office on Esplanadi, use your feet and be happy. Helsinki has plenty of cafés where you can warm up and rest at intervals.

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
63 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

The wind is the main weather problem at January. It makes the air feel freezing even if it´s not.

The main thing is that your clothes are wind proof.

5. Re: weather/clothing for January in Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 11:19