We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip in June

Durban
Level Contributor
232 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
trip in June

hi,

I will be in Helsinki for 3 or 4 nights in June; and would like to spend 1 day on a tour to Tallinn.

other than that I don't have any specific plans for my time there, but I would like to visit the Suomenlinna fortress, and just spend my time walking around the city and taking it all in. I am a fanatical photographer, so would love walking through any 'old' areas of the city, as well as central parks, the market area...

any ideas will be welcome...

thanks

Andrew

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip in June

Hi,

I think you have a pretty good idea what to do in Helsinki. I think it all depends on the weather, if it is sunny and warm, you can easily just hang around in the parks and go to the outdoor bars in the evening. If it is chilly and rainy, it is a different ball game...

Punavuori is a nice part of the city, it used to be an old working class area with all the dubious activities that come with it. Kallio has still managed to maintain some of that charm. Both these feature many things to photograph, so you just need to come and see.

In Tallinn, try to venture out of the old town which can be like a big boozing camp for tourists. You will find nice our wooden houses just 15 minute walk away from the old town.

Which actually reminds me of an old, nice residential area of Käpylä in Helsinki, which make a great area to take pictures. You will also find the housing areas built both for the 1940 and 1952 Olympics in Käpylä.

Durban
Level Contributor
232 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip in June

thanks for your advice on both my posts here - that's a great help.

can you give me any idea on the fortress - how to get there from the centre, and what the complex actually comprises for tourists.

you've also given me another idea now mentioning the Olympics - is there a museum of some sort related to this event?

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip in June

Hi,

There are many ferry services to Suomenlinna. The easiest and cheapest option is the ferry operated by Helsinki City Transport leaving from the market square approximately every 20 minutes.

Suomenlinna is one of the few Unesco World Heritage sites in Finland, and definitely worth a visit. If the weather is nice, Suomenlinna is also a nice place for sunbathing and a dip in the sea, There are nice cliffs and a beach (which often is crowded) for this purpose. You can find more information on www.suomenlinna.fi

For olympics memorabilia, you should visit the Sports Museum of Finland. It is located at the Olympic Stadium, which also is worth seeing. Again, more information is available on http://www.urheilumuseo.fi.

4. Re: trip in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 17:20