We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddlers in Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maidenhead
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Toddlers in Helsinki

Does anyone have any good suggestions for what to do with a 1.5 year old in Helsinki? Any good parks or play areas etc. suitable for the very young? Appreciate your feedack.

Ta.

Elaine.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

There are playgrounds in many parks. I suggest you try the park opposite the National Museum on Mannerheimintie. Apart from the playground itself, there are a lot of feral rabbits about, far tamer than their wild cousins in other countries. Watch out for the Canade geese, though - they're nasty sods.

Maidenhead
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

Hello JohntheFinn,

Thanks a million for this. We'll certainly check out that park with its play area and rabbits. Connor'll be fascinated.

Elaine.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

The last time we were in Helsinki was a few years ago when my son was 2. We visited Suomenlinna, an old fortress island, which was great, lots of running around fun. We rented an apartment and there happened to be a playground nearby, which was good. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the street; it was in a residential neighborhood. I would try to google the area where you're staying to find some parks, or perhaps ask at your hotel. There is also an outdoor market at the harbor which is a little touristy, but there are good food vendors there and you can have a nice outdoor lunch and browse (there were cute little hats for kids for sale there!).

Maidenhead
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

Cool! Sounds like Helsinki is gonna be pretty child friendly.

Elaine.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

Be careful on Suomenlinna are there are some very nasty drops with no protective railing. A kid was killed there a few years ago.

By the way, a short way out of the city centre there's an open-air museum on Seurasaari Island. More important than the folklore - for kids anyway - there are zillions of very tame red squirrels there. Take some unroasted peanuts. Bus 24 from Svenska Teatern, the round white building at the Mannerheimintie end of Esplanadi, very easy to find.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

There are two small playgrouds in the Kaisaniemi park (closest to the railway station and main shopping streets). Another bigger at Hakaniemi next to the round building by the sea. The Kaivopuisto park has also one. The playground usually have a sand box, slides, swings and/or something to climb on.

The Esplanade is a park, no playground there, but people like to sit on the lawn. It's a good spot for a piknik & a rest. There are also kiosks that sell ice cream, coffee and pastries. I guess they sitll keep open in September on clear weather.

You might also like the fact that Stockmanns has a just renovated nursery at the 6th floor with toilets, diaper changing possibilities and a microwave oven. The kamppi shopping centre has one even better, with toilet seats in todder size <3 & toys. All cafees and restaurants must have a toiled for disabeled people. They are spacious and have sometimes been equipped with babies in mind.

Edited: 25 August 2010, 22:10
Maidenhead
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

Hello all,

We went to Helsinki last weekend and it was a fantastic city to go to with a toddler. We came across loads of lovely little parks as we wandered around. We knew when our little boy got bored in buggy, we'd come across a park soon and get him out. He had a swim on a beach (can't remember the name) and we used the park on Suomenlinna as well. To finish it all off, there was a play area in the airport. Fab!

Elaine.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,573 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

Oh yes, I'd forgotten what a blessing that playroom is. But then, my daughter's now 24 and joins me in the bar.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

Just for future reference, a couple of words about beaches close to the centre.

- Hietaniemi. _The_ beach for teens & twentysomethings. The biggest, but has serious toilet issues until 2012, when they get the facilities rebuilt. So I would suggest the others if travelling with family

- Uunisaari. On an island 100m off the Kaivopuisto shore. A connection ferry takes you there for a couple of euros. The island has a cafe & toilets. The beach is shallow and has a wonderful view to open sea. Its protected by cliffs though so the beach itself is well protected.

- Mustikkamaa. There's a great beach with a playground only about 400m from the Zoo entrance. Don't be scared off by the distance. Youll reach it by bus 11 (Railway staion to Korkeasaari Zoo) or my preference bus 16 that passes Southern Esplanadi & Hakaniemi: hop off at Kulosaari & walk 15- 20 mins to the beach. 16 has less families = prams and chances to fit in with your stroller is better. Buses can take only 2 prams in. It also possible to walk from the Kulosaari Metro station especially if ypur kids can ride on the stroller.

- Suomenlinna. If the day is very hot, why not take a dip there too. It's further from the mainland so the water doesn't warm very fast and it's situeted between steep cliffs so not the easiest if you have many quick runners ;-)

- The pools at Swimming stadium and Kumpula.

10. Re: Toddlers in Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2011, 05:17