We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Places Out of Helsinki

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Best Places Out of Helsinki

I have booked a 3 night stay in Helsinki and was wondering if there was anywere worth visiting just out of the city. If so what is there and how do you get to it?

Thanks

Stephen

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

You'll need to specify your question. What are your interests? would you like to hear about nature hiking, museums, local ploklour... ?

Anyway.. here is a really good site that might help you: http://www.visitfinland.com/

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

Hi,

I am more looking for interesting cities/towns with culture and history and sights.

Thanks

FINLANDIA
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

Hey!

Three days is quite a short time, so you could easily spend it all in Helsinki, the city has lots of interesting things to see, nice museums, good shopping etc.

Best day trips in my opinion are Tallinn or Porvoo. However, they both require nice weather. Tallinn is a capital of Estonia, and just 1,5 boat ride away, a Unesco world heritage site and a very lovely old medieval Hansa city. A beautiful day trip, but as i said, best enjoyed when the sun is shining.

Porvoo is an old wooden city with a magificent cathedral and lots os small cafes. Just an hours busride away, its a nice option, but, once again, for a sunny day.

If you like nature, Nuuksio National Park could be nice to experience real Finnish forest. Itäs close to the centre and easy to get to with train and bus.

The former capital Turku has a lovely medieaval castle, that culd keep you busy on a rainy dain as well.

But still, I would probaly stay in Helsinki adn ejoy all the things the city itself has to offer. WELCOME to Helsinki!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

Thanks. You can never tell how long it takes to look around a city so thought I better have a few options just incase! How long does it take to get to tallin and how much is it? Also are the ferries regular?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

There are several daily crossings between Helsinki and Tallinn on four different companies. Reserve ca 2-2.5 hours per way for the ferry to Tallinn. There are several companies (Viking Line, Tallink, Eckerö Line and Linda Line). Viking Line and Tallink are the most reliable of the fast options at this time of the year.

Prices

Viking Line: vikingline.fi/timetables/…hel_tal_hel.asp

Tallink: tallinksilja.com/en/…

Linda Line: lindaline.fi/en/timetables_and_prices/prices/

Eckerö Line: eckeroline.fi/en/…

Do keep on eye also offers, as shipping companies have often them. There's no need to book your trip more than max one day ahead at this time of the year.

Linda Line has the small catamarans serving the route and are thus prone to cancellations due to rough sea or wind. Eckerö is the slowest option.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

Thanks

We may just stick to Helsinki especially if the sea is rough but just incase.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

Rough weather will not be a problem on any other company except Linda Line. Their vessels are big fast ferries or big normal ferries.

Edited: 01 October 2010, 08:43
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

"Rough weather will not be a problem"

Well I think those onboard M/S Estonia don't necessarily agree with you.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

They were not sailing between Helsinki and Tallinn, were they? Estonia was on its way from Tallinn to Stockholm on a route which is mostly on the open sea until reaching Stockholm Archipelago.

Turku, Finland
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Places Out of Helsinki

Visit Turku!

Turku is the former capital of Finland with history dating back to the 13th century. It takes less than 2 hours to reach Turku from Helsinki by train.

As someone mentioned, Turku has a medieval castle - it takes about 3 hours to walk through it. The cathedral is also spectacular. If you are interested in museums and history, Aboa Vetus Ars Nova -museum is a place where you can go 7 meters under the ground and 700 years back in time to walk among medieval ruins underneath the present day city.