We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finland nov/end 2011

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Finland nov/end 2011

Hi All

We were thinking of going to Finland for our honeymoon end 2011 for 2 to 3 weeks. When's the best time to visit Finland? Would November a good month to explore? When's peak travel season in Finland?

I've looked into the website:

Most recommended -

Helsinki, Provoo, Tallinn, and island hopping tour in the archipelago

Santa Claus village, northern lights, etc

Take day trip to tallinn from helsinki via Silja Line - any other cruise line to recommend?

Anything to recommend for us first-timers?

Where to go for sled ride? What to see and do in Finland? I reckon it will be a good idea to go to Moscow, Prague via Helsenki? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Finland Local Guides
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Royal Line
Sightseeing Tours
Northern Feel Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,379 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

I have to say Finland is a rather odd choice for November, particularly as a honeymoon destination. November is the very end of autumn in these parts, associated with rain, sleet, wet snow and long hours of darkness. On the other hand, the winter season has not yet begun. The peak travel season in the south of country is June and July, while in the northern province of Lapland most visitors arrive around Christmas and in early spring when there is more daylight and still plenty of snow. It's too late in the year for island-hopping and too early for reindeer or husky sledding.

I hate to discourage visitors, but perhaps you should consider spending your honeymoon somewhere else.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

Jonh is 100% corect at least this time. I would not come to Helsinki in november is dark boring Helsinki is nice in summer days.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

Agree with John. Precisely the time I'd rather be somewhere else than in Finland.

Honeymoon in Lapland is fine right now; rather OK beginning from mid-December, but best in mid-March till mid-April. Helsinki is fine from May till August. There's no real crowd ever, so don't try to avoid the peak season.

Helsinki is a good hub for Asians visiting Western Europe. Rather than Moscow, I'd visit St Petersburg In Russia.

If the time for the honeymoon is fixed, avoid Europe in Nov. Can't imagine any place would be at it's best.

Other suggestions? Safari in Africa.

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

The Finnish word for November, marraskuu, means the month of death. And for a good reason...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

Hi All

Thanks for your feedback. I didnt know finland is dead town in Nov :( hmpff where should I go between Nov to late Dec?

Any suggestions?

my initial plan was Japan and I've never been to finland :(

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

Lapland is fine late Dec.

Japan? Why drop the plan? Southern parts of Japan are intact. Weather in eg Okinawa should be OK for tourism in that time of the year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

lapland for 3 weeks?

my plan was tokyo then hokkaido and now because of tsunami and the radiation thingy we have to cancelled it :(

will reconsider.. Japan has beautiful nature locations that are breathtaking it's too hard to say no

Bridgewater, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

switzerland is a dream honeymoon place for lot of Asians.

Mediterranean Sea in Italy or Greece is good as well.

Himalayas in India n Nepal is also equally beautiful and not so cold in Nov.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

FYI : Talliinn is not in Finland.

As for other destinations, why not consider Morocco, not too cold at that time of the year . You will be overwhelmed with hospitality.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
487 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Finland nov/end 2011

I do not know also if you would want to do this trip for your honeymoon, but whenever you come, I would suggest you divide your time as follows (as one option):

Logistically it makes sense I think to start with Finland if can use a direct flight. Otherwise Estonia/Tallinn would offer a more romantic start, I suggest. But anyway:

1-2 days in Helsinki and/or

2-4 days up in Lapland, depending if only want to experience North or also want to ski

2-4 days in Tallinn, with possibly 1-2 more in rural Estonia (at least 1 night)

1-2 days trip to Moscow, from Tallinn or Helsinki

Forget Prague for that trip, I guess - Prague is like Tallinn but more manicured. More snub for being so popular, but Tallinn is closer to Helsinki, well it is just 80 km away!

Now WHY Tallinn, or Estonia?

Tallinn is cosier than Helsinki, esp. for that particular time of the year. At the end of November the Christmas season already starts, there are bazaars, concerts, the lights and decorations. It is more romantic and the core – the Old Town – is traffic-free. It is nice to simply walk around – every house is a sight in itself, and if get cold or tired, there are so many cafes and pubs, many with a hearty log fire. Tallinn after all is a UNESCO Heritage site – it is a museum city. There is a small picturesque opera and many concerts in all imaginable styles – early music, classic, new age, rock, pop, a cappella – we love music! And we have plenty of hotels for those comfy honeymoon days with nice views and room service – if the weather is bad, you can stay inside, lounge by the pool in the spa and enjoy a beautiful view to the outside.

Check out that page here for easy overviews and price comparisons:

http://www.venere.com/estonia/tallinn/#p|1;f:o|userRating-t|all-z|all_areas-r|r6-c|all_rate

The most romantic, best and most expensive are Telegraaf, Three sisters, Schlössle, but a very designer-modern option is also Nordic Hotel Forum – just 4 stars in price range of 100 eur, but with superb views, esp. from the pool on top floor. Paris Hilton w boyfriend stayed here when in Tallinn. Close to everything and – alas – the only one with a pool close to the old town and with fantastic views to it as the pool is on top floor of the hotel.

OK, Telegraaf has a 3x 10 m pool and a jacuzzi in the spa, too. :-)

telegraafhotel.com/est/…elemis-spa

Add a day or two in a farm in the countryside – where you might find quite some similarity to Japan – we even share the same healthy habit of taking a hot sauna, then dipping into cold snow or a lake (they do the same by alternating pool water), and we also eat lots of "raw" fish : -). Tip "Rocca al Mare" into Google, then tip "old farm houses Japan". See? : -)

Helsinki is more for experiencing the wonderful Finnishness of people and the great Nordic designs, and Lapland of course for that Nordic winter experience. But Hki I would say is not so great for (e.g.) aimlessly wandering around holding hands and doing nothing but looking. ;) Or so romantic for gazing at each other over a table in the light of a log fire. There you go from place to place, and you need to know, where to go. Tallinn is more carefree in the aspect of feasting your eyes and spending time. And more small, everything is easy to reach (in that wet cold weather).

Moscow or St. Petersburg – I am normally a St. Petersburg fan, but that city of great out-of-town parks and castles is more enjoyable in summer. In November as a seaside town it will be just as wet as Tallinn or Helsinki, and sights there require even more moving around on sloshy streets. Better do the core of Moscow – the Red Square and surroundings, for a day or so, and it is even perhaps a bit more Russian, because St. Petersburg in many ways is like little Italy – nearly all architects from Italy!

Check Estonia out at http://www.visitestonia.com/en/

Finally, if the cold and dark just wears you down or something, it is easy to go for a week to Egypt (yes!) from Tallinn. 4.5 hours firect flight. Packages to Sharm el Sheikh start from 6-700 eur, if you want to book ahead, per person, per week, incl flights and hotel. The destination itself is not so romantic (except for sea views) but it has some nice hotels perfect for honeymoon and you can do trips to historic sights to Luxor or Cairo easily from there. Then return to the Nordic Winter briefly before heading back home, or perhaps organize a direct return from Egypt.

You can also fly regular to Cairo via Prague from Tallinn, perhaps also from Helsinki, around 500 eur a return ticket. It takes 10 hours then due to a long wait in Prague (but can see bit of Prague in that time, I've done it, by comfy direct minibus service from airport to the centre of old town there – a huge Czech conspiration to get more visitors, I bet, because they always leave you ample time between flights! :).

So you can even plan a bit of a round tour, starting in cold and finishing off in warm : -).

Just for orientation: I am Estonian originally, studied for some time in Finland, worked in Sweden and now I am in Egypt, so I kind of have a feeling of all above.