We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Long Beach, cA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Hello!

I'll be flying into Helsinki from Stockholm on Monday morning (July 4th)- arriving in Helsinki at 8:35 am. I've booked a Linda Line ferry to Tallinn at 10 am that same morning which leaves me very little travel time between the airport and ferry!

How do I get from the airport to the ferry terminals quickly and inexpensively? I understand that I should check in at the ferry at least 30 minutes early and I'm afraid I won't have sufficient time to get there from the airport.

PS: I WILL spend more time in Helsinki on the way back! :)

Please advise!! Thank you!

Cheryl

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Quickly AND inexpensively? Hmm. I'd take a taxi from the airport with a time window as narrow as that. You COULD save a few bucks by taking the Finnair bus into town (slightly faster than the city bus) and getting a taxi from the railroad station, but you'd be cutting it very fine. You won't, in all probability, make it to the Linda terminal 30 minutes before departure but they are not very strict about that.

If your luggage is delayed or something else goes wrong, you'll be stonkered. I can only suggest that, if you get to the harbor late, you try to sweet-talk the staff into putting you on the 12 o'clock ferry. They can be very understanding with a polite and un-pushy customer.

Long Beach, cA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Thank you for your response! I won't have any luggage to check (I'm carrying on a child size suitcase only) so maybe that will save me some time. I was hoping to get away with a bus but will budget for a taxi now that it sounds like the safest option!

I do have the option to change my reservation from the 10 to 12 departure time, but I was hoping to make the 10 am work if I can!

If I take a taxi to the ferry straight away without waiting for checked luggage, do you think I'll make it in time for the 30 minute check in?

Would you be able to estimate how much that taxi from the airport to ferry might cost me (a broad range if you can!)

Thanks!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,270 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Taxi will take 35-40 mins and cost ~€40.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

>If I take a taxi to the ferry straight away without waiting for checked luggage, do you think I'll make it in time for the 30 minute check in?

Yes. No problem IF your plane's on time.

The taxi will set you back something like €30. If you were to take the midday ferry you'd save most of this by taking public transport (bus 615, NOT the Finnair bus + tram #5).

Long Beach, cA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Thank you both for your input! I appreciate not only your feedback on the specific question I posed above, but also your contribution to the Helsinki and Tallinn boards in general. I've enjoyed going through the posts!

Not to get greedy, but if you are in the mood to proffer more advice (and if a topical deviation is allowed on these posts), please consider me (and the rest) a keen audience here! :)

I'll be in Helsinki for a night and two days and will have a full day and one night in Tallinn (it's a whirlwind of a trip planned on too few vacation days!)

I plan on using my early mornings to run (meaning jog) around the city for a couple of hours to view some sites and then use the afternoons and evenings to circle back to my favorite spots, take in some views and get a feel for what the city is about. I'm not a huge fan of museums (unless they are must sees) and really enjoy food and drink establishments where I can get a good feel of culture without feeling awkward about being a solo female traveler. If you have recommendations for good beer establishments (wine if you must), good music venues or good spots to take in some sunshine (and if all three are combined then all the better) in either Tallinn or Helsinki I would appreciate it!

Thanks again!

Cheryl

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Suomenlinna fortress islands boast a microbrewery (imaginatively named Panimo - Brewery) next to the city ferry terminal. Their house lager goes down a treat, I find. Finland is not noted for wine.

The same island is good for jogging and sunbathing if you don't mind basking on rocks like the locals or grass. The tiny sand beach is packed with kids throughout the summer. From the city center, a popular jogging route is through the park on Töölö Bay (off Mannerheimintie). The big beach at Hietaranta is THE place for sunning yourself and has the longest stretch of sand you will find in Helsinki.

Long Beach, cA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I had an amazing time in Helsinki. I did not have to check any luggage and was took the Finnair bus to the train station (I waited just 5 minutes for its arrival) and then grabbed a taxi to head to the Linda Line terminal (the taxi cost me 10 euros which I agreed to beforehand, but I pumped him with tons of tourist questions which helped get me oriented and save any taxi fares on my return back to Helsinki the next day!)

Due to your advice, I did bump my ferry to the later departure, but they were able to bump me right back to the earlier ferry because I had arrived with enough time. The weather was calm but the voyage was pretty rough (and I have very good sea-legs) and I would contemplate another type of vessel the next time if I have the time to spare!)

As far as running.. I loved the Bay and enjoyed running around the Fortress as well. The city of Helsinki was a joy to explore and I thank you for your advice in enhancing the experience!

Thanks!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,032 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

You are very welcome and I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.

9. Re: Helsinki- how to get from Airport to FerryTerminals- fast!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:15