We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
35 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Prescription

Hi, in one of the forums I think I've read that I need a prescription if I bring my pills with me(either Finland or Sweden I don't remember:( ) . Is this correct? If yes for what type of medicine should I bring the prescription? Thanks a lot.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription

If the customs should find suspicious pills, they'd be interested to see your prescription. Otherwise they might think you are trying to smuggle in drugs. In practise if you have just a hand full of pills no one really cares; I've never had any documentation with me.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,490 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription

This rule applies wherever you go in the world, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I can't remember the last time I was checked by customs at Helsinki airport, or seen anybody checked, and I travel a fair amount.

If you have prescription medicines, bring the prescription. For over-the-counter stuff, I wouldn't bother.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription

I also travel a fair amount, and have never before been stopped for medicines. Alas, last time arriving in Helsinki (1 month ago) was stopped by the customs, my suitcase and handbag was searched thoroughly. I had with me my usual painkillers, for backpain, toothache, and sleeping tablets. One box of each.

They said it is illegal to bring medicines without prescription from the doctor with you. As these medication was purchased abroad, had no written proof of them. I tried to reason with them, that had travelled in Sahara, and needed these medicines with me, and brought the rest with me. No, you need doctors note. But it is in Arabic. then you need to translate them !

Well, I got off with a warning, THIS TIME, they said. Needless to say, I was speechless.

So be warned.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
35 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription

Thank you very much for all the replys. I travel quite often as well and had never problems either. So this time I'll take a prescription with me. Thanks again.

5. Re: Prescription

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 21:18