We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Catering

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Self Catering

Hi there,

I am hoping to stay at the Stadion and self cater. Is meat, fruit and vegetables expensive in January?

thanks

Zara

Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Catering

Food prices in Finland are higher than most European countries. The price level won´t change much before January, so if you want to check out the current ones go to www.prisma.fi, www.k-citymarket.fi and www.lidl.fi (All of these can be reached with Helsinki public transport)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Catering

Hi there,

Would it be better to stock up in Belgium then (so long as I can carry the food)?

For basic sandwiches and dinners (pasta), with vegetables, how much should I budget for in Helsinki?

Zed

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Catering

LIDL is your best bet - chicken. Vegetables generally are expensive in Finland.

Finland
Level Contributor
9 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Catering

If I was travelling to Iceland or Norway I might consider bulking up, but for Finland I would not (just out of convenience;).

Lidl is a good choice, but not always the cheapest. Seems they have begun to take advantage of their reputation that they always are cheap by having higher prices on some products.

Edited: 28 August 2011, 14:23
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Catering

You won't be able to save very much on stocking on food in Brussels. Prices are not THAT much higher that it would make it worthwile. Furthermore the weight limits on airlines prevent pretty well carrying loads of foodstuffs.

If you plan to bring pasta here, don't bother, basic (local) pasta brands are very cheap also here.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
141 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Self Catering

oh ok. thanks.

I guess I will have chicken and pasta. I guess I am spoilt in Australia with the abundance of fresh food and veges.

Zed

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self Catering

You will not have any problems to get fresh produce or vegetables here. They are available year around everywhere in Finland. This is not a third world country! And, unlike in other areas on the same latitude on the globe, there is no permafrost here, either, so agriculture is one of the livelihoods of Finland, too. And what is not available locally will be imported, so you can get even "exotic" fruits year around. Don't worry.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,651 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Self Catering

Why should there be a problem getting fresh fruit and veg in a Third World country, zam? In the Philippines I can buy pineapples picked by the farmer that morning and fish straight from the sea right on my street corner, instead of having it flown in from the far side of the continent.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Self Catering

Thirld world in the north in respect to the logistics...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Self Catering

well I am going to Rovaniemi.

I am budgetting about 45 Euros per day at self catering. Does that sound feasible for lunch and dinner in both Helsinki and Rovanemi ?