We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

Hi,

I will in Helsinki the last Saturday in October and would like to visit Suomenlinna. I can't find information on where the ferry leaves from and how to get there. I am taking the 615 bus from the airport to Central Rail Station. Where do I go from there? I greatly appreciate your information. Thanks in advance.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

It all can be found www.hsl.fi

See: http://www.reittiopas.fi/en/?from_in=Railway+Station%2C+Helsinki&from=poi*Railway+Station%2C+Helsinki*2552414*6673664&via_in=&via=&via_time=0&to_in=Suomenlinna%2C+Helsinki&to=poi*Suomenlinna%2C+Helsinki*2554889*6671152&toSelect=poi*Suomenlinna%2C+Helsinki*2554889*6671152&hour=8&minute=28&timetype=departure&day=20&month=09&year=2011&cmargin=3&wspeed=70&method=1&stz=0&mc1=0&mc2=0&mc3=0&mc4=0&mc5=0&mc6=0&mc0=0&nroutes=3

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

The ferry leaves from the Market Square (Kauppatori in Finnish) . Its a max 10 min walk from the Railway Station. The link polarbear pasted has a map

I hope you have checked the Suomenlinna site as well www.suomenlinna.fi/en

3. Re: How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2012, 16:47
Libertyville...
Level Contributor
109 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

Just walk down Esplanadi (the main boulevard a few blocks south of the train station) to the Kauppatori. If you take the HSL (Helsinki public transit) boat, which I recommend, you will need a transit card or ticket, which you can buy in the HSL service office in the lower level of the train station. Based on your itinerary, you will have to determine which is a better deal. At the ferry dock, you just walk up to the barricade and wave the card in front of the reader.

As for Suomenlinna itself, the whole complex is interesting, but I certainly would recommend walking all the way down to Kustaanmiekka for great views of the surroundings, the narrow passage between the islands, and the Finnish flag flying above the battlements. Also, if it's a nice day, try to sit up in the front of the ferry on the way back to Kauppatori for great views of downtown Helsinki.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
132 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

Here's link to a printable ferry timetable:

hsl.fi/FI/…Lautta.pdf

6. Re: How to get to ferry to get to Suomenlinna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 16:15