We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport advice needed please

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Transport advice needed please

I have a few hours in Helsinki on Sunday 16th October. I will arrive at Sokos Vaakuna (to drop off my bags) at about 2pm and have to leave at 4.50pm to get back to the airport. I will be returning to Helsinki the following day (I'm off St Peterburg for a 24 hour fleeting visit).

Could you please tell me whether the Tram 3 T /B operates on a Sunday? Is it possible to get off at a few stops on the way?

One more question please. The conference I am attending is at the Helsinki Exhibition and Convention Centre. Would it be easiest to catch the Metro there everyday? The conference is for 4 days. What would the cost be to purchase a 4 day Metro card?

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Thanks

Sharon

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport advice needed please

1) Yes, the tram line 3T/B does operate on SUndays. It is actually the first and last line to operate at any day. You can hop on &off if you buy a normal single ticket (not a special tram ticket). It is valid for 60 mins.

2) For commuting between Vaakuna and the Convention centre use the local trains. The metro line doesn't reach Pasila where the Centre is located.. Your station Pasila is the very next from the Main Station and the ride is 5 mins. Any local train stops there.

3) For ticket info check hsl.fi/EN/…default.aspx

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport advice needed please

Thanks so much for the advise. I am very glad I chose that hotel as it is so easy to get to the conference centre.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,032 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport advice needed please

1. If you just ride a tram, get a tram ticket. "A tram ticket entitles you to travel on trams for one hour. The ticket allows you to transfer from one tram route to another but not to other modes of transport. There are no tram tickets for children. Tram tickets are available only from ticket machines, drivers do not sell them."

2. From Vaakuna I'd definitely use a tram for Pasila Convention Center. Tram 9 has a stop by the Railway Station and tram 7A/B has a stop by Lasipalatsi in Mannerheimintie. Both stop right a the door of Convention Center. If you use them all, you'll get a tiny sightseeing of Helsinki as well.

3. Day ticket for 4 days (96 hours) inside Helsinki costs € 17,50.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport advice needed please

Thank you

5. Re: Transport advice needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 04:17