We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

Stanley, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

Is it possible to get the train one way from Helsinki to St Petersburg and do the return trip on the ferry? Or vice versa. Can anyone provide advice as to whether this is possible and tips on making it work.

Does the ferry go via other ports? Is the ferry trip during the day or night? Which is the best direction on the Ferry? We are stopping over in Helsinki in July and considering a few days in St Petersburg.

Thanks in advance.

Tampere
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

First of all, you of course need a visa to Russia. Provided that you have it you are free to travel any combination.

On Mondays and Tuedays the ferry stops at Tallinn on its way from Helsinki to St Petersburg. All trips are over night, leaving Helsinki or St Petersburg in the evening and arriving in the morning. In July it's pretty light all the night so you can still see well around.

I don't think there's a big difference which direction to take by the ferry and which by the train. If I had to choose I would maybe take the ferry from Helsinki and train from St Petersburg. Reasons for my choice would be a bit later arrival time in St Petersburg in the morning (more time to sleep :-) and maybe a bit faster customs procedure in Helsinki end for the ferry departure.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

TampereMan,

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but when the St Peter line ferry stops in Tallin on the Helsinki to St Petersburg route, is it an actual stop where I can get off and explore Tallinn (if only for 3 hrs) or is it just a ferry stop.

Also, on the website in mentions "passport control" while on Tallin. That means they check your documents (russian visa and passport) there before arriving into St. Petersburg? Just want to know if I really have 3 hrs in Tallin or if I should account for a check in line at the dock.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

There will be queues in Tallinn, as ALL passengers will have to leave the ship there and come back in, which might cut out a big part of the 3 hours you'd have...

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

thanks zam.

Kolwezi, DRC
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

Hi

Can you please let me know whether you did the trip Helsinki to St. Petersburg by train and ferry? Would you recommend it?

Thank you

Erika

Kolwezi, DRC
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

Hi

Can you please let me know whether you did the trip Helsinki to St. Petersburg by train and ferry? Would you recommend it?

Thank you

Erika

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,723 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

erika,

i'm taking the ferry next week. i'll write a review when I get back.

Stanley, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

G'day Erika,

After finding it a bit too complex with visa's etc for just a few days, we decided to take the ferry return to Helsinki, making use of the 72 hour visa free opportunity. We travel in late July so am still looking forward to the trip.

Cheers

Flynn7331

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

Did this route in May. Caught the high speed train in Helsinki at 10am, arrived in St Petersburg around 2pm. You need to reserve the tickets before hand to get the seat you want. Stayed in SPB for 3 days and returned to Helsinki by St Peters Line, leaving at 7pm, arriving Helsinki at 8am. All tickets and reservations done by internet.

The overnight back to Helsinkli has great food, comfortable rooms and saves a hotel cost and, arriving in time for a new day in Helsinki. There was no rush to get off the boat and had a lovely breakfast at our leasure. Our room included the breakfast.

Collingwood, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train to St Petersburg & ferry return - help

Further to my recent reply--- we checked our extra luggage in the Helsinki train station before leaving on the VR train. On returning, the 15A bus at the Helsinki port takes you right back to the train station. You have to check if there is a return cruise from SPB to H, because it doesnt run every day. The St Peters Line site gives all the schedules, room types, costs, etc. We had a Russian visa so were not restricted.