We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train ticket

hong kong
Level Contributor
92 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
train ticket

Hi,

Is there any promotion or special offer of train ticket? I am going to finland in the mid of June. I know that in the Norway train, you can have great offer in the train ticket price if you book in advance online, do the finland train also have such kind of offer? thanks

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,835 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train ticket

You can check this out yourself at http://www.vr.fi/en/index.html

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train ticket

Nowadays there are also advance discounts on Finnish trains, too, when the ticket is bought 60 - 7 days ahead of travel - the earlier you buy the bigger the discount. However, advance tickets cannot be changed and there's no refund for these tickets. Closer to the travel date a basic ticket may even be cheaper than the advance ticket...

Prague, Czech...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: train ticket

Hi, im just planning a summer trip to finland.. just to be sure.. 60-7 days in advance means that i won't get the discount if i buy it earlier than two months in advance?

Thanks

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train ticket

Train tickets are not sold earlier than 60 days ahead except for some public holiday services.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
586 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train ticket

I don't buy advance tickets anymore, as VR often has special offers. Right now they sell tickets from Helsinki to Oulu for 29 € (normal price 80€). Last summer you could travel anywhere for 9 euros on Saturdays.

Note that these cheap tickets are available for certain trains only, so if you have to travel on Friday afternoon, you won't probably get one.

http://www.vr.fi/en/index/Veturi.html

Edited: 16 March 2013, 18:36
Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train ticket

Is it possible to purchase tickets on the VR Website using US credit cards? In Norway it is not possible to use US credit cards to buy tickets on the NSB site.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Norway
Norway
Europe
Finland
Level Contributor
896 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train ticket

VR Online shop accepts Visa, Visa Electron, Mastercard and American Express. I have not read anyone saying they would deny them by country.

NSB says on their site that they do not take US cards. That is strange.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 06:41
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train ticket

Should be: vr.fi/en/index/junaliput/lippujen_ostopaikat…

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: train ticket

Hi, I've been trying to purchase a train ticket for Dec 2013 but it has not been showing up any available trips. So I am guessing this is due to the 60 day time frame that you mentioned? Do you know how long it takes to catch the train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi and then a connecting bus to Saariselkä? Is it worth it or am I better off flying? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Rovaniemi
Rovaniemi
Lapland, Finland
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train ticket

Yes, you're too early. They've not even released the final timetables that far ahead. The current timetables are valid until the 2nd of June. No major changes should be expected, though. Journey time is 17-18 hours by a night train and bus. Normal one way fare is currently about 135-139€ excluding the sleeping compartment.

Flying is definitely more cost effective. E.g. Norwegian Air Shuttle sells Helsinki-Ivalo flights for next December currently from ca. 39€/one way (+6€ for luggage). Norwegian will operate the route on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. Finnair sells the route from 149€/return (incl. luggage), and operates it daily. If you can decide this early, flying will be a better deal. Flight time is ca 1h 40 min/way + transfer to Saariselkä about 30 min.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 09:45
Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland