We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Is it a good idea travelling to Helsinki during this period? I know the temperature are below 0 degree. anything to do there while it's so cold? are all attraction closed? what do Helsinki people do at this time of the year?

Hope to get some information from you guys as I have to confirm my trip by end of this week =)

Thank You

Edited: 08 March 2012, 13:18
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Hi there KLer,

Right now the sun is high and the sky is blue. It is however below zero right now!

If you plan on staying such a long time (over a month) you might want to shed some more light on if you'll be based in Helsinki for work/studying or if you are here on leisure.

All attractions are open par terrace restaurants :) however people tend to stay inside quite a bit compared to the summer, when Finns maximise on staying outside.

Let's start planning!

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Hi hennessyparadis,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm there for leisure, following my friend who will be there for business trip =). So I'm still able to go around places and join any local tour? I'm worried that the city will be very quite day and night due to the cold.

Edited: 09 March 2012, 01:17
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Hi toffee!

The locals are accustomed to the cold, trust me :) The rush hour is nothing like KL though and I will never again complain about a traffic jam again in Helsinki having seen Bukit Bintang!

There will be plenty for you to do though if possible, try to visit places outside Helsinki too as you will have plenty of time.

For sightseeing in Helsinki, I recommend you check out http://www.visithelsinki.fi/

For interesting out of town options, I'd recommend visiting atleast:

- Tampere, around 200km away, easy destination with the train. Very relaxed atmosphere

- Porvoo, one of the older cities in Finland, it's small, intimate and cosy. About an hour away by bus.

- a cruise to Sweden or Estonia, but you'll need to check visa requirements

As you have plenty of time, there's no need to follow a "tourist itinerary", take things slow and discover new things every day. If it gets too nippy for you on a particular day, leisure in one of the malls / department stores or cafés.

The closer you stay to the centre, the more accessible quick strolls will be for you. Do you already know where you'll be staying?

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Dear hennessyparadis,

Thanks a lot for your advice. Accommodation not confirm yet. I'll sure to let you know once its confirm. It seems like you're familiar with KL too. How often are you here? I've been fed with wrong info though, I'll be in Helsinki until end of March only =(

Did some reading on Porvoo, there's one day trip for Porvoo, yippee!!!

How many days I need to explore Sweden? I might cramp it on weekend as my friend is working on weekdays.

Someone on TripAdvisor recommended Hämeenlinna for a day tour as well.

I'll sure to plan my itinerary to include your suggestions. ;)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

You can very easily take a cruise to Stockholm (overnight with cabin each way) and in recent years Viking has sold dirt-cheap cruises for the months you mention. That way you get a day in Stockholm for a few euros, plus island scenery with ice floes as an extra.

There is absolutely no way you can explore Sweden in a weekend. Stockholm alone is more than enough.

It sometimes gets warm enough for shorts and T-shirts in Helsinki by late April, though sleet is rather more common. Don't pack only for Arctic weather as you may get a surprise.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

toffee / travellover (you keep changing your handle and I can't keep up :),

I have only been in KL once, a few weeks ago. I'll definitely be back!

I'm sure you'll be able to suck in enough of Helsinki in two weeks so don't worry too much. Plus, you'll get homesick for food as Malay food is nowhere to be found!

For Porvoo it's very easy to go on your own and you'll be able to just go with the flow (and weather) and head back when you want to. Buses are ubiquitous.

Hämeenlinna - well, that's a matter of personal taste. It's a decent small city with nice areas around the city and at a reasonable distance from Helsinki.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Hämeenlinna's picturesque castle containing several museums is worth a visit, as is Hämeenlinna's Aulanko park, especially if you don't get much opportunity to see lakeland scenery.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Oh, one more thing, you don't need any additional visas to visit Sweden or Estonia as hennessy suggests - these are both Schengen countries like Finland.

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

i'm sorry hennessyparadis, can't make up my mind with the names =X

great to hear that you enjoyed KL

thanks to both of you for the worthy advice, appreciate it so much.

can't wait to be there. have to start planning already ;)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In Helsinki from 19th March - end of April

Good trip for you!

When arriving in Helsinki, prepare to purchase appropriate footwear, as the streets will be covered with icy mixture of snow/ water and very slippery.

Life goes on in Finland regardless of weather condition, and it is considered warm when near 0 degree C. As to wearing teeshirts and shorts in April ... hmmm.... I travelled from south Europe to Helsinki in early May, and was frozen to death in my demiseason jacket (long with lining) and small booties. We who have lived in warmed climate suffer more from the cold.