We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe place to store luggage

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Safe place to store luggage

I will be traveling from Helsinki to Saint Petersburg by train. I would like to leave some valuable items such as my iPad behind in Finland during my stay in Russia because I do not need them and I do not want to have to worry about their theft. Is there a safe place I can store such items for a week? I thought I might ask the hotel I am staying at in Helsinki, but I doubt they would keep them so long. I know the train station has lockers, but that seems a little dodgy. Ideas?

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe place to store luggage

The train station lockers are as safe a storage place as you will get.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe place to store luggage

1st of all I don't get the idea of leaving iPad behind. WiFi is widely provided in St Pete. 2nd I might guess that theft is more likely to occur in California than Russia.

But whatever...

" I might ask the hotel I am staying at in Helsinki, but I doubt they would keep them so long. "

That would be my primary option. Just leave the luggage behind, I don't recall having ever been asked how long I plan to keep the luggage in the hotel's luggage room.

There's a manned service:

At Helsinki railway station you can also leave luggage for storage at the station service luggage desk. Station service is open daily at 6.30 - 22.00 hrs. Storage costs €3 per luggage item.

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe place to store luggage

Helsinki Main Railway Station lockers - I'd recoomend them as do Johnthefinn & polarbearfinn. They are safe and the service is excellent.

Pasadena, CA
Level Contributor
9 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe place to store luggage

Thanks for the helpful responses.

"1st of all I don't get the idea of leaving iPad behind. WiFi is widely provided in St Pete."

Like I said, I won't need it. We all have smart phones and I will have a laptop with me also.

"2nd I might guess that theft is more likely to occur in California than Russia."

Probably true, if I carried it while walking all over Los Angeles while looking like a tourist carrying a lot of luggage - but I don't, and I don't want to in Russia either. It will be one less thing to worry about. It is hardly the only item I wish to leave behind, but probably the most likely to be stolen.

Tampere
Level Contributor
508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe place to store luggage

Personally I would be as worried if leaving my iPad at a hotel or railway station as if taking it with me to St Petersburg; I don't see too much difference in having it stolen but in both options to likelihood is minimal. But whatever you like.

Nashville...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe place to store luggage

I have like 8 hours layover at helsinki airport..thinking of storing my bags and go t

See the city

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,758 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe place to store luggage

Go for it! There are lockers at the airport.

8. Re: Safe place to store luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:16