We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

Hello again,

We have recently moved to Helsinki and are really looking forward to the mid summer celebrations. What are the must see places to go on Friday and Saturday. I've really about Seurasaari, but although nice, maybe a bit to traditional for us. Is there live music anywhere? Or a concert? I've checked on the net but found nothing... Where do young people go? Thank you for your suggestions!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
822 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

There is a midsummer party in Seurasaari outdoor museum on Friday evening. It's an island with a walking bridge, bus nr 24 from the city centre. The ticket is about 18e to the party. It's very Finnish and popular with bonfires.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 19:26
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

Welcome to Helsinki!

Sad to inform you, that people go out of town :) For many years Seurasaari was pretty much the only public option and still the closest thing to a festival..

In recent years a couple of restaurants have arranged some program, at least cafe Ursula in Kaivopuisto has had a bonfire and now their sister cafe Piritta near the city theatre does some program too.

At least the On the Rocks bar keeps their terrace open, but the club is closed.

Keep an eye on the doors of the bars in town, they have started to post their opening/closing times for Juhannus days. The daily Helsingin sanomat / hs.fi will post a midsummer memo on Thursday.

People tend to gather privately: I myself will join a family barbeque in Espoo as many times before.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
23 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reponses and the welcome to Helsinki! Actually we are in Espoo too!

We dont know many people here yet, so gathering privately is not really an option..

I guess we will head to Seurasaari on Friday for the party but that leaves Saturday open..

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

Check out the post orpoporo has posted on the Helsinki forum about a week ago. It listed some expat meetings and if I remember right one was on Friday.

Sorry for not copying the link, I'm not that handy at copy pasteing on my phone :(

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
822 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

There is also live music in Seurasaari but very traditional music from the centuries gone: violin, contrabase, clarinet etc. They're doing Polonaise figure dance which you can join.

Young people go to bars and nightclubs in Helsinki or some rock festivals around Finland.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 19:05
6. Re: Mid Summer festival in Helsinki 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 22:41