We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oakville, Ontario
Level Contributor
18 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

Traveling with our family this summer (2 kids 14 & 9) and looking for fun things to do in Helsinki during our 10 Hr layover

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

Take the 615 city-owned bus (NOT the Finnair bus) into town, walk (or take the tram - the ticket you bought on the bus entitles you to free transfers for 80 minutes) to Kauppatori market square by the sea. Get straight on the city-owned ferry to Suomenlinna, a chain of fortress islands linked by bridges (ferry also included on your ticket - this is why I said don't take the Finnair bus). The guns and casemate tunnels should keep your kids well amused.

Alternatively, if firearms and battlements are not their thing, you might hop on the bus #24 to Seurasaari island. This is an outdoor museum with old buildings from all over the country and staff in national dress, but most younger and many older visitors find the remarkably red squirrels most memorable - take peanuts.

There are plenty of conventional sightseeing around the aforementioned Kauppatori market (two cathedrals, President's Palace, much-photographed Senate Square with statue of Tsar Alexander II, etc.) if your children go in for such things.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
822 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

Linnanmäki Amusement park would be nice for kids. There is also SeaLife Aquarium there. Take tram 3B/3T from the Central Railway station in the city centre.

Korkeasaari Zoo is located in an island which you can access from Kauppatori Market Square by Korkeasaari Ferry.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
27 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

I'll also be doing this in the fall. We'll be flying Finnair from Chicago to Rome with an 8 hr layover in Helsinki coming in and a 14 hour, overnight layover returning. What will be the process for leaving the airport in regards to passing through customs. With an 8 hour layover(0830-1620), how much "free" time should I expect to have outside the airport? The return flight layover is 14 hrs (0005-1410). Arriving near midnight, what time could I expect to be in a hotel? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

>What will be the process for leaving the airport in regards to passing through customs.

In the vast majority of cases, you walk straight through customs without being checked. Going through immigration takes a little longer as you have to wait in line to have your passport stamped, but this is normally a matter of minutes.

>With an 8 hour layover(0830-1620), how much "free" time should I expect to have outside the airport?

You could comfortably have 5 hours in central Helsinki. Take the bus (#615 or Finnair shuttle) to the city center and start walking.

>Arriving near midnight, what time could I expect to be in a hotel?

I'd take a taxi at that time of night. Assuming you're staying in the city center, you should be home and dry in an hour or so.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

Take a look at this oldie

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189934-i444-k4767…

6. Re: What to do in 10 hour layover at Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 06:15