We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

Planning to visit in August around the time of the festival. Wondering how much time we need to see the city and maybe a day trip to Porvu, or anywhere else people can recommend?

We have already visited Talinn so only focusing on Finland. Any suggestions, comments welcome. Thank you.

Dublln
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

Hi all, we will be in Helsinki from 4th Aug to 9th Aug. I was just wondering what the 'festival' is that the last poster mentioned. First time in Finland and really looking forward to the trip. Really enjoying reading all the information on this forum, its so helpful in planing what to do when we arrive.

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

The Helsinki arts festival

http://www.helsinginjuhlaviikot.fi/en/

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,350 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

If you plan to spend a day outside Helsinki then 4 nights is just about right. You'll see the essentials, but still don't have to rush.

If you are in town Thu 23.8. The Night of the Arts is not be missed; helsinginjuhlaviikot.fi/en/…

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,425 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

The tickets to the Helsinki festival events are sold pretty fast so I recommend you to buy tickets in advance

www.lippupalvelu.fi/index.php…

Choose e-tickets, so you can print them at home, wherever you are.

Search by the name of the artist/event, there doesn't seem to be a Helsinki festival category.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
832 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

You can see also visit Suomenlinna Island Fortress and Seurasaari Island Outdoor Museum in Helsinki.

To Suomenlinna it's a ferry ride. From Kauppatori Market Place you can take also some other archipelago cruises which are very popular.

To Porvoo you can also travel by a ferry, MS Runeberg (operates alla days except Thu) http://www.msjlruneberg.fi/eng/aikataulu.html

Other excurcions are: Hvitträsk in Kirkkonummi, Ainola Sibelius Home in Järvenpää, Hämeenlinna Castle in Hämeenlinna.

UK
Level Contributor
488 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

It looks like it's going to be 3 nights now :( So I maybe won't do Porvu.

Thanks for your responses. My flight arrives at 1130pm - I wonder whether that's too late for the night of late arts.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,098 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

The partying goes on late on the Night of the Arts, but by the time you get there the cultural part will be over.

8. Re: Is 4 nights too long in Helsinki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 20:47