We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

North Carolina
Level Contributor
64 posts
207 reviews
Save Topic
A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

Hi,

I am enjoying my time in Helsinki, however I have a few questions...

Trams: all of the brochures and visitor guides refer to machines where one can purchase a tram ticket but no where did we find a map or list of machine locations. Is there such a thing and if so can you share where they are? We ended up buying a one day ticket for 7 euros at the visitor center because we walked around for 30 minutes searching for a machine and we only needed a one hour pass.

Speaking of tickets, it did not seem that everyone boarding a tram even had a ticket or pass. Is this something that is not really enforced?

Also, we purchased another ticket to travel to Suomenlinna, but is it true that my one day travel pass would have gotten me there if I had known this? I am thinking there is a city run ferry as well as a private one?

Now a question on tipping at restaurants: everything I read ahead of my trip stated that tips are not expected in Finland, however we encountered credit card slips that had a line for writing in a tip, much like the ones in the States. Can you clarify the tipping procedure here?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Finland
Finland
Europe
North Carolina
Level Contributor
64 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

Apologies!! I meant Trams and tipping.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

>we walked around for 30 minutes searching for a machine and we only needed a one hour pass.

Regular tickets are good for one hour, with transfers to other buses/trams/Suomenlinna ferry/metro/local trains. No need for a special pass.

>Speaking of tickets, it did not seem that everyone boarding a tram even had a ticket or pass. Is this something that is not really enforced?

Inspectors pounce regularly. Better have a ticket.

>Also, we purchased another ticket to travel to Suomenlinna, but is it true that my one day travel pass would have gotten me there if I had known this? I am thinking there is a city run ferry as well as a private one?

The city-owned ferry, which is part of the public transport system, leaves from the greenhouse-type terminal more or less opposite the Presidential Palace. City transport tickets, including your travel pass, are good for this. Walk past the commercial tourist ferries towards the Uspenski Cathedral and you can't miss it.

>we encountered credit card slips that had a line for writing in a tip, much like the ones in the States. Can you clarify the tipping procedure here?

That line is standard internationally. You may ignore it in Finland.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 22:41
Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

Locals have an electronic travel card, thats valid for a longer time. No need to show them to a reader every time.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

Hope this has still some use to you...

hsl.fi/EN/…ticketmachines.aspx

Ticket machines

There are two types of ticket machines. The range of tickets available from the pink single ticket machines is smaller than that of the blue ticket machines selling multiple tickets. The blue ticket machines selling multiple tickets accept debit and credit cards in addition to coins.

From ticket machines selling single tickets, you can buy single tickets and one day tickets for adults. These tickets are valid from the moment of purchase. The expiry time is printed on the ticket. You must get on a bus, tram or train before the expiry time of your ticket, but you can complete your journey even after your ticket has expired.

Ticket machines selling single tickets are available at metro station entrances, Helsinki and Pasila railway stations, Kamppi terminal, Makasiini Terminal, Elielinaukio and in Suomenlinna.

From ticket machines selling multiple tickets you can buy single tickets and day tickets for 1 - 7 days, as well as load your Travel Card. You can also purchase single tickets for adults and children. These tickets are valid from the moment of purchase. You can pay with coins or using a debit or credit card with a chip. The ticket machines do not accept notes with the exception of the ticket machines in Kamppi, Market Square, Helsinki-Vantaa Airport, Länsisatama (West Harbour), Olympia Terminal, Pasila railway station, Central Railway Station, and Ruoholahti metro station. Ticket machines selling multiple tickets accept also value loaded on a Travel Card for paying for single or day tickets. Value cannot be used for paying for period tickets.

Ticket machines selling multiple tickets are available

at metro station entrances

at the Helsinki-Vantaa airport

at Elielinaukio

in Lasipalatsi

at the Market Square (Kauppatori)

in Katajanokka

at West Terminal (Länsiterminaali)

at Olympia Terminal

at Kamppi terminal

at Exhibition and Convention Centre in Pasila

in Suomenlinna

in Tapiola

in Westendinasema

at Lippulaiva shopping centre

at Tikkurila bus terminal

in Hakunila (Hakunilantie 50)

at the following railway stations or in their immediate environment: Helsinki, Pasila, Huopalahti, Pohjois-Haaga, Malmi, Puistola, Leppävaara, Myyrmäki, Louhela, Martinlaakso, Tikkurila, Koivukylä and Korso.

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Helsinki Central Railway Station
Helsinki Central Railway...
2,196 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Kauppatori
Kauppatori
771 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Katajanokka
Katajanokka
237 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
5,956 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

If you just need the 1 hour pass it's usually purchased from the driver. No need to find any automats or other sales offices.

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

In Finland you don't have to give tip and it's ok by that way. If you give some it's also ok, but quite rare and when given it's small amounts. If the bill for two is 68,50e Finns might put it into 70e. Sometimes. You can leave some useless coins, like 70c ;D It's so usual when given something!

Mentioned in this post
Finland
Finland
Europe
North Carolina
Level Contributor
64 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

Thank you all for this info. We should have thought to look at Market Square for a ticket machine. Sometimes the answer is just more obvious that I can make it be!

We have been rounding up or leaving a few coins for our meals and writing in "Cash" on the tip line on the receipt, so I am glad that we were pretty much doing an okay thing there too.

Thanks again!

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

Drivers on all vehicles sell the 1 hour one zone tickets (2,70 when bought from driver). This same ticket bought from a ticket machine is 2,20€.

There's also a tram ticket, that is valid only on trams for 1 hour and this can be bought only on ticket machines mentioned above for 2,00€.

0_0 it used to be much less complicated before...

Anyway, as a rule of thumb, one can always byu some kind of a ticket from the driver.

9. Re: A few Helsinki questions- teams and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:47