We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

Hi Helsinki Forum Experts,

This winter I am traveling to Asia and booked with Finnair. Going to Asia, I have a 12 hour layover. Coming home, I have a 23 hour layover. I have booked a hotel in the city center for the 23 hour layover. I plan on leaving the airport both times and enjoying what I can in the city. Anyone have any must dos? Will be there on a Saturday in December and then a Saturday into a Sunday. Where are the Christmas markets located? Will they be open?

Also, has anyone else had a long layover like this with Finnair? Did it work out all right? I don't think I have to claim my luggage while on layover, but if you had 2 long layovers, did your luggage make it to your final destination? I am nervous about connecting with my bags.

Thanks!

Edited: 03 August 2012, 23:00
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

You do not need to pick up your luggage if you check it in all the way to the final destination at the point of origin. The longer the layover, the better chances there are that your bags will make it to the same flight with you. Furthermore, Helsinki airport is a quick transfer airport with very short minimum connecting times (international - international 40 mins).

Places to see and do during a layover have been discussed here a lot. Just go back in the forum to find the similar threads or try the search function. Or have a look in the What to do on a layover at Helsinki airport topic in the top questions box in the top right corner of this page.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

This might be helpful to you

tripadvisor.com/…37696777

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

Btw. Maybe the DEs could put a sticky for trip reports in the Finland forum, too?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

I added a link to the Finland Forum page that directs to the Helsinki forum (with a hint to look at the Top Questions).

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

>> You do not need to pick up your luggage if you check it in all the way to the final destination at the point of origin.

Generally baggage through check (and boarding pass issue) is possible only if your connecting flight (leaving HEL) departs within 24hrs of your initial check-in(in Asia). It's impossible to meet this condition with a 23hr layover, unless your flight gets from Asia to HEL in under 1 hour. Since HEL is Finnair's hub, you can probably immediately drop your bags there after claiming them, and get your onward boarding pass.

Bags can get lost whether it's short or extra long layover, that's why you have travel insurance.

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

I thought whether or not the airline holds your bags was if the layover was under 24 hours, not the total journey time with the layover... Either way is fine with me... I'll call the airline when I have time and ask...

I have read some negative things about Finnair baggage handling. I was more curious in general if people that have flown this airline have had good experiences. My definition of a good experience these days is 1. Arriving safely ay my destination relatively on time and 2. My luggage arriving with my flight.

Thanks!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

There have been issues with Finnair's baggage handling in the past due to industrial actions and all sorts of other labor disputes, but not lately anymore. Nowadays Finnair's baggage handling in Helsinki airport has been outsourced to Swissport. Furthermore, Finnair's long haul flights tend to be on time (of course not always, but usually).

Edited: 07 August 2012, 21:53
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

On hundreds of Finnair flights over the years, my baggage has failed to arrive exactly once, and on that occasion it was delivered the following day. Can't remember a single serious delay (more than an hour, for instance).

USA
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

Thank you JohntheFinn... I am glad to hear that they are a reliable airline...

Boston
Level Contributor
102 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone have a good experience with a long Finnair layover?

On the 23-hour layover, Finnair will let you check your bags to HEL and re-check it the following day to your final destination. After all, you do need a chance of clothes.