We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 or 3 days?

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
2 or 3 days?

I'm planning to visit Helsinki in November and I can either spend 2 days (2-4 Nov) or 3 days (1-4 Nov) there. Since its winter when I'm there, how much is there to do in Helsinki in winter? I'm interested to visit Suomenlinna but I'm not sure if its open that time of the year. I tried looking thru the Suomenlinna website but it only lists the Summer opening hours. Can anyone help?

Regards,

Melvin

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 or 3 days?

Suomenlinna is open year around. Furthermore early November is not "proper" winter yet in southern Finland. Yes, it can be cold, rainy and windy, but most likely no snow (maybe sleet). Daytime temperatures usually around +5°C, on a "warm" day maybe a couple of degrees more, colder in the nights. I would opt for the longer stay if that would not exceed your budget.

Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 or 3 days?

Thanks zam72. What else would you recommend that I do? I will be in Stockholm before I arrive in Helsinki so I am undecided whether to spend 1 more day in Helsinki and shorten my stay in Stockholm.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 or 3 days?

How many days are you in Stockholm? What are you interested in? You can find info here: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en

Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 or 3 days?

I'll be in Stockholm from 29 Oct till 1 or 2 Nov (that's my dilemma) and then I'm leaving Helsinki on 4 Nov.

Based on what I've read about Helsinki on Tripadvisor and Wiki, I am interested in Suomenlinna and a few of the attractions in the city centre - Lutheran Cathedral, The Church in the Rock, the Hakaniemi Market Hall (maybe). The Söderskär lighthouse sounds interesting and I might consider doing that although I've not read up much.

As you can probably tell, I like architecture and historical sites.

My gut feel is that I should cater 1 day for Soumenlinna with some spare time in the evening for shopping in the city centre and then spend another day visiting the attractions I listed in above. Is that realistic?

By the way, I am a group of 4 with 2 people in the 30's and 2 in the 60's so the activities cannot be too exhausting.

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,745 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 or 3 days?

Söderskär is not accessible in the winter.

Suomenlinna is very exposed, so you will need warm clothing while there. A lot of the cafés and restaurants are open only in the summer, so there aren't too many possibilities to shelter.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 or 3 days?

In winter you do not have to reserve a whole day for Suomenlinna. It can turn out a very cold affair. In about 2 - 3 hours you can walk through most of the places there + add another hour for the boat trips. Furthermore it will get dark in the late afternoon, after which it's maybe not so scenic anymore. You can return to town at the latest after the big ships to Stockholm have departed and passed the Kustaanmiekka strait (around 5 pm), if even staying that long on the island. Bigger shops will be open unti 8/9 pm. You can easily go through the sights you've listed in one day.

Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 or 3 days?

Thanks zam72 and JohntheFinn for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 or 3 days?

Check the following :

suomenlinna.fi/en/…plan_your_visit

It is worthwhile to visit, even in winter. Wear a warm lined rain/wind proof jacket with a hood.

9. Re: 2 or 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:15