We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suomenlinna Fortress

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Suomenlinna Fortress

We will be in Helsinki for one day during a Baltics Cruise. I am trying to plan our day in Helsinki. We are planning to visit the Suomenlinna Fortress. They offer guided tours in English at 11:00 a.m., which we are considering taking. Here are my questions:

1) Hours at Suomenlinna begin at 10:00 a.m., and I would prefer to begin our exploration at that time rather than waiting until 11:00 a.m. How important is the guided tour to our understanding the history behind Suomenlinna Fortress? Is it a great tour, not to be missed? Or can we have the same experience simply by walking around and exploring on our own?

2) In addition to walking and exploring, we plan to visit the Suomenlinna Museum and viewing the movie. What other museums at the fortress, if any, are a "don't miss?"

3) How much time should I plan to be at the Suomenlinna Fortress? I imagine that one could probably spend the full day wandering, but there are sights within Helsinki that we want to see as well. With only one day (8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.) in Helsinki, I want to see as much as possible and definitely need to budget our time wisely. How many hours should we spend at Suomenlinna to properly see the important sights but still get back to Helsinki in order to see as many sights there as well?

Thanks for the help!

Edited: 11 September 2012, 01:11
Finland Local Guides
Cultural Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours
Royal Line
Sightseeing Tours
Free Walking Tours Helsinki
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suomenlinna Fortress

Sorry - just had to mark the box for notification of replies. Thanks for your help!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suomenlinna Fortress

In my humble opinion, you could visit Suomenlinna without a guided tour. Buy for yourself a good guidebook, or do some research already on the internet. There is a lot of walking involved, although not tiring, visit some museums of your interest, snap photos, etc.

Perhaps 3 hours would be enough, just to get an idea, and use the rest of your time to see Helsinki sights.

Happy holidays!

Malibu, California
Level Contributor
246 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suomenlinna Fortress

Thanks so much!

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
8,479 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suomenlinna Fortress

I don't know why anyone takes tours. You can find all the information you need easily enough nowadays.

5. Re: Suomenlinna Fortress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2013, 10:16