We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki at Christmas

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Helsinki at Christmas

Hello!

I am leaving London for Christmas this year and will be landing on the 23rd of December and leaving Helsinki on the 26th in the afternoon.

I am a photographer so my main aim is to photograph Helsinki while is all dark and empty (hopefully snowy as well).

I will be there on my own and would love to know if you know something I can do during these three days.

Also transportation wise from airport to the city centre and vice versa..

If you will be in Helsinki during these three days, let me know..we can even hang out together!

Vito

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4,846 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

Pretty much everything will be closed from 24th noon till 26th noon. Churches will be crowded on 25th in the morning. Hietaniemi cemetary is candlelit during Xmas, worth visiting.

Finland
Level Contributor
894 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

Also see "Top questions about HELSINKI" -->

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

You have chosen the right time for photographs about empty Helsinki, as during Xmas time everybody stays at home with family.

You could (weather permitting) go to Suomenlinna, or take a metro to Rastila in Vuosaari, (15 mins) where I have taken some fantastic photos, when there was mist and winter swimmers in the sea. Just an idea.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

is the metro working on the 24?

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

All public transport dies by 14.00 on the 24th and slowly starts after noon on the 25th. Sunday timetables apply 25th to 27th.

So no travelling Rastila unless early on the 24th.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,088 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

& Sigmund we have previously discussed this in more detail. Please make a search in the Helsinki forum and you'll find them, I'm sure.

The only major difference is the location of the Xmas market (Tuomaan markkinat) that has changed from the Esplanade park to the Senate Square.

For restaurants open you can make a search closer at eat.fi (set the date before seaching)

Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

I took this picture in the railway station last Christmas Day. Never seen it so empty. http://tinyurl.com/9szus8c

The only place you'll find a lot of people is in the graveyards on the eve as night falls, as it's customary to place a candle by family graves. Very photogenic if there's snow. You may also catch a Santa or two on his way to make deliveries (Christmas Eve).

Be aware that hours of daylight are very short at Christmas, so make the most of them for your outdoor photography.

London
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

hello there, is still me from my other propert account.

@JohntheFinn.. your photograph gave me goose bumps.. eerieness, silence, emptiness..that s why I am coming to Helsinki at Christmas this year.

I am a photographer/ graphic designer and planning to experience Christmas in Helsinki on my own recording the whole atmosphere and people on this specific time of the year.

I just love how dark it s going to be and hopefully snowy.

If any of you out there are in Helsinki and maybe want to meet up for a drink or a small tour of helsinki or chit chat or god knows what..

feel free to email me.

vito

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

Although public transport is minimal over the Xmas period, the city is quite compact and you can easily walk to most of the good vantage points. I'd recommend a stroll around the periphery of Katajanokka to begin with. This small peninsula is just a 10 minute walk from the Central Railway Station, and is announced by the incredible Orthodox Cathedral on the hill. Cross by the 'Lovers' Bridge (decorated by hundreds of locks placed there by countless couples in Helsinki), then swing left. I can't recall if the massive ice-breakers are still docked at Xmas or if they've already headed north for the winter - I think the Baltic didn't freeze over until January last winter, but I could be wrong.

Another spot for wonderful photos is atop the hill overlooking the Baltic in Kaivopuisto park. There are some amazing vistas up there. If architecture is your thing, then Helsinki boasts some of the most beautiful Jugend/Art Nouveau/National Romantic buildings in the world. I've been looking at them for over a decade now and they still move me. I've collected some of my very amateurish photos over on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

There's also a set on Katajanokka (my personal favourite part of Helsinki):

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Someone recommended a trip out to Suomenlinna. I'd agree with them, this UNESCO World Heritage Site is well worth a visit - but dress warm, as it can get quite breezy out there, and we don't refer to very cold days as being 'baltic' for nothing!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

I'd hook up with you but I'll be spending my Xmas up north as always and won't be back in Helsinki until the 27th of December. Enjoy your time here!

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helsinki at Christmas

Thank You very much for your info. The pics look very interesting. Cannot wait to see Helsinki this xmas, I am also thinking of recording videos of the city itself.. i think the whole experience could be very moving.

You from Helsinki?