We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise stop

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise stop

We will be in Helsinki on Monday, May 20 from 10:00-18:00.

How far is the port from the city center? Is it walkable? Also, what is the best way to see the city and what are the essential things to see in one day. Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks for your help.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise stop

See the top questions about Helsinki in the top right corner of the Helsinki forum page (not available in mobile version).

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise stop

Oulu,

Thanks. I looked at the information.

We will be on RCCL Brillance of the Seas. We dock on May 20, 2013 (10:00-18:00). I do not see it on the "expected Cruise Ships" list. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I looked at the links for public transportation. I am very confused...not sure which options will take me to the town center...the cost and accepted currencies...where to wait for pick up...times that they run. Can you help me?

Also, Are there any organized tours that operate from the pier area?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise stop

Ship – arrives in HERNESAARI harbour which is West Harbour, LANSISATAMA. There is your ship on the list! Perhaps you looked at the south harbour, which not applicable for you.

portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/map_of_vessels_…

if you move in the interactive map, you can see the distance to the centre of Helsinki, not really that far.

Take tram 9, which leaves just outside of the terminal, and get off at the Railway station (RAUTATIENTORI) . Timetable below, use the lefthand side blue column. They run frequently.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/linjat/en/h9.html

You pay cash with Euros, not sure about the price, but around 2 Euro oneway.

Not sure of any organized tours, but Helsinki city is very small and compact, so no problem to go around by yourself. Once you are in the centre, hope you have a map with you, you decide what to see and where to go.

Happy holidays!

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise stop

Morocco

Thanks so much for all the information! It is very helpful.

Now we can begin to plan our day in Helsinki. On another TA post I read that

the main attractions are around Kauppatori Market Place in Southern Harbour. Also Senate Square and the Cathedral. Also that from Kauppatori you can continue along Esplanade Park towards Stockmann Department Store.

Do you know if there is a visitor's center or someplace to get a map?

Thanks again for all your help.

Joanne

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise stop

The official Tourist informations can be found at the Railway station and near the Market Place along the Northern Esplanade. Most shops along the Esplanades give out freep maps also. There are probably some to be grabbed at the harbour too, keep your eyes open.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise stop

Thanks!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise stop

Morocco's piece of advice is incorrect. He's right about the quay that your ship will dock at, but not about the transport connections to/from there.

Tram 9 goes to the West terminal which will be on the opposite side of the West Harbour basin from where your ship will dock. You can see Hernesaari (and West Harbour and other cruise harbours) on a map at portofhelsinki.fi/passengers/international_c… .

On the Hernesaari side of the harbour basin you'll have to use buses. From Hernesaari you can take bus 14 to Kamppi Centre (a shopping centre and Helsinki Bus Station) every 20 minutes. From there you can walk to downtown (400 m) or take a metro to the Central Railway Station and walk from there, see route and times in the route planner at http://tinyurl.com/bznqq2t . The timetable for the bus 14 is available at http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/linjat/en/h14.html .

Edited: 03 March 2013, 09:03
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise stop

About tickets, currency and prices:

You can buy your tickets from the bus driver in cash (in Euros). Drivers will accept max. 20 EUR notes.

A single Helsinki internal ticket will cost 2.80€/adult and a one day/24h tourist ticket 8€/adult. A single ticket will be valid for a transfer within the City of Helsinki for 60 min from the purchase. Both are valid in all forms of public transport in Helsinki: buses, trams, metro, local trains and public ferries to Suomenlinna Sea Fortress.

Boston...
Level Contributor
187 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise stop

Thanks for the corrections. It sounds very reasonable that we will be able to make our way from the pier area and explore Helsinki without joining an excursion from the ship. I assume we can get a return bus at the station at the end of the day.

Thanks again.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise stop

Oulu - thanks for the correction, have not doublechecked it, but if you say so. I took the info from the website in Helsinki port info.

Was horrified to give wrong info Joanne, sorry sorry my friend.

Joanne wish you good time in Helsinki !