We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

Hi,

I will be arriving by flight in Helsinki in the afternoon on 21/6 and fly off in the evening on 23/6. I just found out my short stay in Helsinki coincides with the Summer Solstice weekend which may throw my travel itinerary upside down. I believe Helsinki city will be deserted with most Finns head to countrysides and shops will be close at 12pm on 21/6 and the whole day on 22/6.

Will tourist attraction places are closed during the solstice weekend? How about eateries and public transport? Will big shopping centres be opened on 23/6 (sunday)?

Any suggestion how I can make full use of my short stay during the summer solstice weekend?

Thank you.

TK

Mentioned in this post
Helsinki
Helsinki
Uusimaa, Finland
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,121 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

On the Midsummer weekend Friday and Saturday will be the special days, on Sunday most shops are again open for business 12 - 18.

I'm afraid that also a number of tourist attractions may be closed during this weekend. Also public transport is reduced on Friday and Saturday, see last year's traffic bulletin: hsl.fi/en/…Page_20120611031232.aspx.

At least Linnanmäki Amusement Park and Sea Life Helsinki will be open throughout the Midsummer.

Seurasaari outdoor museum will have a traditional Finnish Midsummer celebration on Friday that you can join: www.seurasaarisaatio.fi/index.php… .

nba.fi/en/museums/seurasaari_openairmuseum

Also some restaurants will be open, but do double check opening hours of all services you plan to use.

Mentioned in this post
SEA LIFE Helsinki
SEA LIFE Helsinki
273 Reviews
Helsinki, Finland
Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

Grab a bag of groceries / piknik food & lager at the land side Alepa 24h store on the airport (T2 a bit right from when you come out from the luggage pick up A2) and head for a piknik either in the Esplanade park or Suomenlinna fortress.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
Level Contributor
2,834 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

Read this old thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189934-i444-k4476…

I myself find Seurasaari too crowded on Midsummer eve

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

Thank you all for your invaluable input.

5. Re: What can I do during Summer solstice in Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 07:17